Please sign in to post.

Bringing Back Cheese into the USA

Can someone tell me exactly what kinds of cheese are ok to bring back in the USA? I know you cannot being soft cheese, but what are the rules regarding harder chesses? Also, like the tulips, is there some kind of sticker put on these cheeses that would make it through US customs? Just don't want to buy some, and have it confiscated upon arrival. Thnaks

Posted by
5835 posts

First, declare all food products. Then check the "general" guidance and hope for the best:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3619/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

-Cheese- Solid cheese (hard or semi-soft, that does not contain meat); butter, butter oil, and cultured milk products such as yogurt and sour
cream are not restricted. Feta cheese, Brie, Camembert, cheese in
brine, Mozzarella and Buffalo Mozzarella are permissible (USDA Animal
Product Manual
, Table 3-14-6). Cheese in liquid (such as cottage
cheese or ricotta cheese) and cheese that pours like heavy cream are
not admissible from countries affected by foot-and-mouth disease
(FMD). Cheese containing meat is not admissible depending on the
country of origin.

Posted by
166 posts

Sounds like a real crap shoot doesn't it?

Posted by
5835 posts

And hope the beagle doesn't put his nose on your bag.

Posted by
3517 posts

My experience has been that if the cheese is vacuum packed and labeled as to what it is and it is a hard or dry cheese, I have had no problem bringing it back into the US. Last trip to Italy I brought back 5 kilos of parmesan, US border agent didn't even look at it.

Posted by
32700 posts

you have two copies of this question, with answers on both. It is usually better to only have one.

Posted by
16893 posts

I've brought back cheese from Europe at least a dozen times, always declare it, and they never even look at it. There is no sticker. You may be asked the country of origin for any products you import. The types of cheese that are restricted would not travel well and are also not typical of what you might buy from the Netherlands. Schiphol Airport has lots of appropriate cheese for sale, if you haven't shopped earlier.

Posted by
228 posts

As long as they see the word " Pasteurized " ( in Dutch : " Gepasteuriseerd " ) on the label of ingredients you are fine .

Posted by
16893 posts

Yes, pasteurized cheeses are a safe bet and most Dutch cheese probably will be. But that's not a requirement.