Please sign in to post.

breakfast in Haarlem?

We will be in Haarlem for 4 days in early October. Staying at the Hotel Stemples. We are looking at other options rather than the hotel breakfast..something less expensive ,with better choices. Thanks folks

Also, any restaurants in the area you would recommend?

Posted by
32523 posts

You could go to the Albert Hein supermarket and stock up on juice, pastry, bread, jam, nutella and chocolate sprinkles and have breakfast Dutch style in your room. Get coffee (various Dutch styles including kaffee verkehrt are interesting) when you go out.

Posted by
13809 posts

Well this may not be terribly helpful since I can't remember the name of the coffee bar/bakery, but when I stayed in Haarlem in 2014 I stayed at the Ambassador which is near your hotel. I was looking for a place for coffee that also had soy milk. I walked to the front of the cathedral, across the Grote Markt to the main street that goes alongside the square walked a block or so and came to a bakery. It was quite busy with locals but the Baristas spoke perfect English and were very sweet to me. The coffee and bun were delish! I guess my point is just go walk around and duck in where you see the locals going.

Posted by
16893 posts

You have several topic threads looking for a "less expensive" option, but not quoting any comparison prices. For benefit of other readers, I'll note that this hotel's buffet breakfast costs €12.50.

Posted by
115 posts

Nigel is absolutely correct that the least expensive option in Haarlem will be the grocery store, it will have the most diversity and if you are traveling with several people, it is by far the best value. You just need to remember that you need euros (not credit card) to shop there. Haarlem is also a wonderful town to walk around. Our favorite breakfast came from a cheese shop that baked croissants with Gouda cheese and ham on top. Our boys begged to go back every morning. http://www.kaashuistromp.nl/haarlem/

Posted by
552 posts

I'm not sure of the price for walk-in breakfast, but the Amadeus Hotel breakfast was excellent 3 years ago. I was staying there and spoke with two ladies who were on the BOE21 tour, a day ahead but staying at the tour hotel. They came in looking for a cheaper breakfast than the one their hotel offered, and they found it and were happy. I'll be there next week, so can report back if anyone is interested in the price.