Please sign in to post.

Arnhem

I will be in Amsterdam for a few days and I plan on making a day trip to Arnhem and Oosterbeek to take in some of the WW II sites. I found on the Netherlands' Railway site that it is an easy train ride from Amsterdam Central; about $37.00 round trip. I have two questions:

1. Once there I will need to use the local bus to get to and from the different sites, what would be the best way to purchase my bus tickets? Would it be better to pay for each individual trip (at the minimum 2 round trips) or buy a OV Chikaart or something similar? I was not planning on using the public transportation in Amsterdam for everything I'll want to see is within walking distance of my hotel.

2. If I decide to leave the larger crowds of Amsterdam and visit Arnhem on King's Day; how far out should I purchase my train tickets? I don't mind being committed to a particular scheduled train going to Arnhem; but, I not sure what time I'd be returning to Amsterdam.

Thank you

Posted by
2487 posts

Just buy the tickets with the bus driver. Those OV chipcards are extremely visitor unfriendly. The card costs EUR 7,50 and you need a minimum deposit of EUR 20 to use it on the train. Getting that deposit back will undoubtedly be an administrative nightmare.
Buy the train tickets the day before at the railway station. It is no use buying them in advance. There are no discounts and seat reservation is impossible (and, outside peak hours, not necessary).
In case you haven't found it already, this http://9292.nl/en# gives the bus schedules (and all other public transport as well).