Please sign in to post.

Anne Frank tickets

Life got away from me last week and I missed the on sale day of Anne Frank tickets for our stay in Amsterdam April 11-18 and now they are sold out. Any suggestions? Wow they went fast.

Posted by
114 posts

The website says due to renewal work all visitors need to purchase online tickets and time slots through May 1st, and that tickets will be released in phases beginning 2 months in advance until the day itself. I would just keep checking back on a daily basis and see if you can snag some from one of the next releases. Can't hurt to keep checking...good luck!

Posted by
1005 posts

If you can't see Anne Frank, visit the Dutch Resistance Museum. The excellent exhibits are all in English. Also consider the Corrie ten Boom House in Haarlem, which tells a similar story from the viewpoint of Dutch citizens who hid Jews.

Posted by
517 posts

I also found the "Introductory Program" which releases 2 weeks in advance. I'm afraid since I am within 2 months though my chances are slim of finding them on the website but I'll keep looking.
We are staying in Haarlem so yes we will be going to Corrie Ten Boom.
Thank you for all your suggestions. I'll keep at it.

Posted by
129 posts

You might have to just go there late in the afternoon and see if you can do same day. It's kind of a crapshoot though. Keep checking, you never know.

Posted by
870 posts

The suggestion of checking daily to see the new released time slots is a good one. I checked yesterday, and all days through April 24th were sold out. Now, there are tickets available for March 1st and March 2nd. It seems that the museums releases their tickets in waves (the pattern seems to be afternoon and evening times first, and then morning slots). Through May 1st, per their website, you may only visit with a reserved time slot. Just keep checking every day, and good luck with it!

Posted by
517 posts

Thanks MARYAM! We kept checking back and this morning they released new times slots in April. We got our first choice.

Posted by
22 posts

I got 2 e- tickets/Dutch Museum Pass ones for the date I wanted in April (11th) when they opened 60 days in advance but not preferred time. So I've been checking back in every few days or so and voila today a better time opened so I did another booking for the 1Euro charge. Now to figure out the impact of the Museum Week on all this planning!? Besides Anne Frank, we want to do the Riks, Van Gogh and Sted for sure along with some others we might just pop into since - per Rick Steve's guidebook advice- may be covered w/ Museumkaart (Dutch Museum Pass)...and any time saved in line would be a plus too.

Posted by
610 posts

Thanks for sharing, Renee! We had checked on the date the tickets were originally released for our April trip, and they were already sold out. I was disappointed, but when I saw your response I tried again and was able to snag some tickets!

Posted by
517 posts

Dacorey -- I'm struggling to understand the impact of Museum Week also. Are all the museums free or just some? Are my timed tickets, based on the purchase of a museum pass, still good if I don't end up buying one because they are free? Are they free or just sponsoring special events?

I posted this on the Netherlands forum for whatever it's worth. The Museum Week website www.nationalemuseumweek.nl doesn't give a lot of specifics that I can find. I had planned on purchasing the passes at the Frans Halls Museum when we arrived.
http://www.dutchmuseums.com/museumcard.php
"National Museum Week 2018
The Museum Week is a yearly event in collaboration with 400 museums. Generally the Museum Week starts in the second weekend of April(9 - 15 April 2018). Often all museums will be open and entrance is free for everyone (not just Museumcard holders) or you need to pay one euro. Most museums have special events such as presentations, tours or children quests.
Also see on Twitter: hashtag #mw2018 and hashtag #museumweekend.
Museumcard is not valid during Museum Week!"

Posted by
19 posts

We will also be there then but they told us to keep checking every day (actually several times a day) for both the regular tour and introductory program tickets. After a few days a few slots opened up. They keep adding availability right up to the day so keep checking,

Also, with the Museum card it's one euro to register, IIRC.

Posted by
444 posts

Glad you got tickets! Sorry to hijack this thread but we will be there May 29-31 and I am wondering when I should first try to get tickets. Would it be March 29? I was just on the site and there are basically no tickets available for any times. There will be 4 of us and we really want to go so I will be online as early as possible. Thanks!

Posted by
1005 posts

Go on line when it's 8 a.m. in Amsterdam on March 29th--sorry but that's 2 a.m. Eastern time. They release tickets between 8 and 10 a.m. and they go fast.

Posted by
444 posts

Hah T, thanks for that information! I’ll try to be awake for it!

Posted by
47 posts

I was able to snag tix for 5/13 on 4/13 at 10am in the morning with little difficulty - NYC Eastern time. The website is a bit weird, but the queue actually moves very quickly. They do release additional tix as the month progresses. One question, has anyone seen the intro video? Is it interesting, worthwhile?
Thanks!

Posted by
11 posts

Yesterday, we were able to reserve tickets by staying on the website watching it until we moved up the queue. After about 15 minutes we were able to buy tickets for later that day. It was a Monday, so I assume there were fewer people looking to buy tickets. Very worthwhile and heartbreaking. Much improved exhibit since the last time I was here many years ago.

Posted by
444 posts

Yay! I got up at 6:30 CST and snagged tickets for us on May 30, had my pick of times so I went with 4:30, leaving the day free to do some walking around the city (weather permitting). There were still lots available so I am glad I didn't get up at 2 am ;)