Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam with Kids

So we are staying in Amsterdam for 2 nights Jan 2-4, 2018 with our kids, ages 11 & 12. We have never been and not sure what part we should stay in? Obviously, not near the Red Light District. Thanks!

Posted by
985 posts

Jamie - what are you planning on doing with the kids while you are there? Try to stay in that area. We like to stay on the canal ring so we are within walking distance of everything. I just got back from two weeks in Amsterdam last Tuesday.

Posted by
7453 posts

If you look in a Rick Steves guide, you are probably looking for something in "West Amsterdam" or the "Canal Belt". You could also just hit an Ibis or other commercial hotel.

As for the kids, the Red Light District is easy to avoid, though some of the nicest canals are there, pot smoke might be a bit more hard to avoid in some streets, but it is not a haze, just a whiff here and there.

Posted by
25 posts

The main thing we wanted to go to was the Anne Frank House but other than that, we would like to be on the water/canal and be able to walk to restaurants/shopping.

Posted by
503 posts

Consider a day trip to Marken and Volendam, very picturesque villages that show how the Dutch lived years ago. You tour some cottages and see how things were in the "olden days" It's been years since I visited but have always wanted to go back. You'll see windmills to!

Posted by
6265 posts

We loved the NEMO museum, and we haven't been that age in over half a century. Definitely worth a look. Also the maritime museum nearby. Great ship to clamber around.

Posted by
288 posts

We stayed in Hotel Brouwer with our kids. It had a family room which was actually 2 connected rooms one up a half flight of steps from the other. A funky hotel, but right across from a canal and close to the train station and Tram stops. Very convenient. We were able to walk a block to rent bikes to get around and this kids loved this. We were lucky to have a sunny day in the 50s in November.

Posted by
6265 posts

When we were in Amsterdam a few years ago (RS Heart of Belgium and Holland tour) we stayed at the Hotel Alexander. It was very clean, and convenient to many of the sights. Our room was small, but that's pretty common in Europe. I just checked their website, and they have quad rooms available, price range €150 - €300. Double rooms were available for under €100. Of course, YMMV. I didn't check your actual dates, though.

Posted by
92 posts

we just got back from a few days in amsterdam. my children are a little younger but this map might be helpful:
https://goo.gl/maps/9fCvUqHtUPp

we stayed in an airbnb right in the center, just around the corner from rembrandt square and walking distance to most other things -- https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/18512186

in the past we have stayed a bit farther southwest, near museumplein and vondelpark. i think i prefer that area as it's a little quieter tho it maybe less fun for older kids. the central part of the city is small and you can easily walk from the museums (southeast, just outside the inner canal rings) to dam square so it shouldn't be a matter of convenience, just preference.

ps - don't forget to reserve tickets to the van gogh museum if you want to visit, they often do sell out.

Posted by
117 posts

The Jordaan area of the city is lovely. It has a different feel than the other sections of Amsterdam and there are lots of families walking and biking around that area.

Posted by
4256 posts

did you get advance tickets for Anne Frank? They are very necessary!

Posted by
2297 posts

Do consider the Van Gogh museum. They have an audio guide that is specially geared towards kids. Out kids enjoyed it a lot, my youngest one even declared this museum trip as the high light of our Amsterdam stay!