Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam to Keukenhof - road trip

In a couple weeks, my wife and I will be visiting Amsterdam for four and a half days. On one day, I'm considering renting a car and visiting Keukenhof gardens and then touring a little bit of the country and then returning to Amsterdam that night. We have plans the following morning in Amsterdam.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about this. It looks like a nice drive. I'm also wondering what other locations or sites we may consider visiting. Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted by
2487 posts

The area south and southeast of Amsterdam is amazingly attractive. Very, very green. Narrow roads along small meandering rivers. Dotted with late-19th-century forts of the Unesco World Heritage listed Defence Line of Amsterdam. And, at Dutch standards, surprisingly empty. Go from Uithoorn via Abcoude to Weesp (here on OpenStreetMap).

Posted by
32523 posts

Ton, I am going to be in the area too, in a couple of weeks - unless the weather doesn't improve. I'll be staying probably in Utrecht this time.

I've just looked at your answer just above and it looks interesting to me. I'm sure I have driven nearby but perhaps not on the roads on your open streets. It is the purple dots? Is it signposted as a road or a bike route? Does that route have a lot of drempels?

In that general area is also Naarden - one of my favourite fort towns and a nearby bos for good walking.

Posted by
2487 posts

Those purple dots are municipal boundaries. I'm not aware of roads here being part of some signposted route. Have a good map with you. My experience with this area is on foot, so I don't know about speed bumps. It's all narrow roads, so it's slow driving anyway.
Put in Ouderkerk between Uithoorn and Abcoude. Historical village with a Jewish cemetery which served the community in Amsterdam.
Naarden is indeed a beauty. And for walking, don't overlook the woods near Hollandsche Rading and the country estate of Groeneveld.