Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam to Bruges

Checking train schedules it appears that I will need to transfer twice possibly three times in order to get to Bruges from Amsterdam, and it will take three and a half to four hours.
I'm considering signing up for a day trip which goes from Amsterdam to Bruges on a private bus in a total of 3 and 1/2 hours and then simply remaining in Bruges rather than returning to Amsterdam. Does anyone have specific tour recommendations for the day trip, or has anyone done this? I've found two or three tours but each of them seem to have some cons as well as pros. Thanks!

Posted by
5687 posts

Your goal here is to use the tour bus to get the one-way trip to Bruges? Do you actually want to take the tour or just use the tour bus as transportation? You would need to confirm with the tour operator that they will have the ability to let you take luggage.

Yes, going by train, you either have to transfer once in Brussels (about four hours total travel time) or transfer twice (Antwerp, Ghent) but get to Bruges about a half hour sooner. It's a more direct route but with more changes. You could of course take a day tour on your on once you get to Bruges.

Posted by
6788 posts

We did the two transfers on the train. It was super easy.

Posted by
7310 posts

This thread (below) is a bit old, but may have some ideas, if not precise details. I would think you could take Thalys to either Antwerp or Brussels, for only one change. Bruges has always been a "spur" sort of trip. It is not adjacent to Amsterdam. Many travelers also visit other cities in Belgium on such a trip, to make the most of their time.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/netherlands/amsterdam-to-brussels-to-brugge-back-to-amsterdam-by-train

Posted by
2 posts

Our family loves Bruges! We actually stay in Antwerp or Ghent and take day trips to Bruge. The Train is great to travel all of the way from Amsterdam to Bruges, and you can shorten the overall time if you take the Thalys Train from Amsterdam to Antwerp, then switch to the Belgian trains thru/via Ghent to Bruges. Another more direct option is Flixbus. https://www.flixbus.com/bus/bruges