Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam Light Festival

My family is considering a trip to Amsterdam in December to see the light festival. Has anyone attended, and do you have any advice? We understand it is good to see it by boat and also walking. Are there guided walking tours?

Thanks for any tips you can share.

Posted by
985 posts

Kelley - We attended the light festival back in 2016 with thosedamboatguys. The boat ride is the way to do it if you want to see everything at one time and see it from the canal. The installations are quite spread out and it would take a lot of walking to make the circuit. Chances are one of the installations might be near where you are staying and you can walk over to see it. No guide is required - just walk there and look as much as you want.
We really enjoyed our boat ride. It was freezing cold that night and they served plenty of hot gluhwein during the ride. They did have plastic down over the windows to keep heat in the boat but you could see through it. People who smoked were asked to go outside with the captain. We stayed out there most of the time anyway as the view was clearer and I wanted to get some pictures.
I am fb friends with the captain from our boat and took the live virtual tour with her this past year. It was fabulous!