Please sign in to post.

amsterdam layover

I'm flying from the US to Munich with a layover in Amsterdam. We have a choice of 3 layover time... 55 min, 3.5 hours or 7 hours... I'm wondering if we take the long layover, 7 hours, does that give us enough time to see some of the city? Is there a place to stow our carryons and explore for a couple of hours? If this isn't doable, do I take the really short layover and having to change planes and airlines or be safe with the 3.5 hour layover? Sorrry, I have no experience with Amsterdam and the airport. TIA

Posted by
20023 posts

I think 7 hours enough time to go into Amsterdam. I've done it. Used to be that 4 hours was considered doable, but with increased security these days, more like 6 hours, so 7 should be fine. There is a left luggage office at Schipol.

Posted by
882 posts

"A Taste of Honey is Worse Than None at All" - stay at the airport. Schiphol is quite entertaining and remember - Munich is your destination. The last time I flew AMS to the US (late April '18), the check-in at Schiphol took a very long time - over three hours. Maybe something was going on, maybe not. If your ticket is a complete destination flight - US to Munich, I'd do my best to reach your final destination as promptly as possible, although making that 55 minute option would take a Miracle. (Oh, I get it.)

Posted by
2487 posts

It's very well possible to see something of Amsterdam with a 7-hour layover: trains (EUR 9 for a return ticket) leave every few minutes and take around 15 minutes. The area west of the Central station - around the Brouwersgracht - is very nice and not too crowded.
I have never had any reason to use it, but the Schiphol website gives information about luggage storage.

Posted by
3961 posts

We have had multple experiences with layovers at Schiphol. We have had good luck with a 3.5-4 hour layover. It's our favorite connecting airport. Very organized, plenty of meal options & shopping. Can't speak to a 7 hour layover. Perhaps others will have some experiences that will help.

Posted by
172 posts

In my opinion, Schipol is the best airport I've experienced for a layover. There are excellent shops to browse, great places to eat, and my wife was able to get a relaxing manicure-pedicure. Meanwhile, I found a wonderful, free of charge lounge that was in a faux jungle environment complete with chaise lounges. I had a relaxing 2-3 hour snooze and was ready to tackle air travel fully relaxed. Hank, Novato, Ca

Posted by
20023 posts

There are lockers at several points inside security, and some outside by Arrivals 3 & 4. Since you are traveling on to a Schengen destination, go through Schengen Immigration first, then find lockers.