Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam In Winter

Hi everyone! I'll be traveling to Amsterdam (and then on to Brussels, Prague, and Budapest) in mid-March 2017 and I wanted to ask if anyone knows what the weather will be like in those areas in Mid-March. I am mostly concerned about whether or not snow storms are a concern since I will be traveling between cities mostly by plane. I wanted to see if flight delays or cancellations are the norm during that time of year or if the winter is pretty mild by that point. I'd hate to have flight delays/cancellations ruin my trip! In which case, I'd plan to travel only by train and stay in closer regions.

Also, I know these cities are very pedestrian-oriented, so if anyone has advice for visiting them in the colder months, I would appreciate any! Thanks!

Posted by
12040 posts

Significant snow accumulation is uncommon in Amsterdam, even in the depths of winter. It sits too close to the moderating effect of the ocean.

March will likely not be warm, but temperatures should remain well above freezing. Expect a very damp atmosphere, though.

Posted by
22 posts

We've been to Amsterdam in February. It was cold, but not freezing...snow-free. But ya never know...there's plenty of pictures of frozen canals and people ice skating...just sayin' :)