Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam in March

We will be spending 10 days in Amsterdam the middle of March. I’ve already booked the Ann Frank House and the Van Gough Museum. We plan on seeing the Rembrandt House and the Rijksmuseum as well, and a day trip to Haarlem. Are there any other suggestions on must see museums, day trips, etc.? We are using public transit. Thank you!

Posted by
11161 posts

Among the best day trips from Amsterdam are Delft, The Hague, and Leiden. Also a little farther is Rotterdam where you can switch to a water boat to Kinderdijk to visit the 19 historical windmills.

Posted by
551 posts

In Amsterdam, eat a rijsttafel Indonesian dinner, take a canal cruise, visit the Dutch Resistance Museum, take a walking tour (paid or tip based) of Amsterdam, rent and ride bicycles in Vondelpark. Walk the Jordaan neighborhood and eat apple pie at Cafe Winkel. Day trip to Giethoorn and a boat ride there. Are you interested in Delftware pottery? Day trip to Delft. an alternate to Kinderdijk is Zaanse Schans- a day trip.

Posted by
2026 posts

We had a great day with the Waterlands Bus pass visiting towns of our choosing on our own time schedule. Reasonably priced and easy. Keukenhof Gardens open 21 March 2024. Absolutely gorgeous. On our first trip decades ago we visited Zaanse Schans and it remains a favorite memory. We are returning to the Netherlands for our 5th visit this April. Safe travels.

Posted by
2035 posts

We just got back from there two weeks ago. I left some reviews in the Review section, so you can look there for ideas.

The botanical garden in Amsterdam is worthy of a stop. It is beautiful and so much to see. We also went to the cat museum. Yes, it is weird, but fun. We loved our day trips to Delft and Gouda, which we did on our own. We also did a guided half day tour which was the pits and I do not recommend. That was to the windmills, Volendam and Marken. If you want to go to these, just do them on your own.

We did the Van Gogh one morning and then the Anne Frank House that afternoon. Do the AF house later in the day or evening as after that you will just feel heavy and it will be hard to be on vacation.

I always like doing a walking tour on day of arrival. We did this with Amsterdam Free Walking Tours and it was excellent.

Do a canal cruise, but do a private/semi private one. See the canal cruise reviews for the link, but that was a definite highlight for us!

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all, for the great suggestions! It’s very much appreciated. Happy travels!