Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam in March?

We are planning a vacation with our two college kids for mid March. While discussing where to go, they both hit on the idea of Amsterdam and the Netherlands. My concern is whether March will be too cold and rainy to really walk the city and see it well. It would be our first trip there and would like to take full advantage. Has anyone been to Amsterdam in March, and if so, what can we expect?

Posted by
513 posts

I have been in Amsterdam in late October through early November and it was pleasant. In mid-December on a trip I needed a light (fleece) jacket. On a mid-February visit I was glad I had my leather winter jacket, scarf, and gloves along. On a trip two years ago in early to mid April I carried along a windbreaker jacket and it was just right. I have also been there in June, July, August and September and it was summer warm and short sleeve shirt weather. I have bracketed March, but never been there then. Unless you hear to the contrary by other posters, I would think you should be okay with light jacket - perhaps ones that are waterproof. Don't forget your umbrellas and brimmed hats/caps.

Posted by
2487 posts

It's a maritime climate, and very changeable. Be prepared for temperatures between 5 and 10 C, and the occasional rainy and windy day. It might be warmer or colder, but it won't be freezing.

Posted by
18 posts

"Too cold" would be any weather that would not allow us to reasonably enjoy walking around the city, taking a canal boat ride or seeing other sights. According to the RS section on The Netherlands, March can be iffy, both in terms of weather and availability of tourist attractions (which may have reduced hours or be closed). It seems as if much of Europe is chilly and rain soaked at this time of the year and I asked what other travelers experiences have been because I would hate to plan a trip where we would miss essential parts of the country because of the season.

Posted by
32523 posts

It is a shame that your trip isn't a month later when the tulips and other bulbs will be up, and Keukenhof open.

Posted by
27 posts

Laura,
My husband and I were in the Netherlands last March. We spent four days in the lovely town of s'Hertogenbosch (Den Bosch) for the Bosch 500 celebration of the great artist Heronimus Bosch, then 3 days in Amsterdam. Yes, it was cold, but not unbearable. We spent a lot of time in museums but also a lot of time walking outside in Den Bosch, which was a gem, and Amsterdam. Bring layers, a winter coat, and travel umbrella. There's never a "perfect" time to travel. Go when you can; otherwise you'll never go. We loved the Van Gogh museum, the Reichsmuseum, and a cheese tasting that is recommended in Ricks book. Enjoy!
Lisa

Posted by
11294 posts

A large part of how you respond to the weather in Amsterdam in March will be related to what weather you're used to.

"Maritime climate" is a euphemism for 1000% humidity. This means that, even when it's 50 degrees F, you will feel FREEZING unless you are wearing several thin layers of cotton or fleece. However, even though it feels cold enough to wear wool, it's still 50 degrees out, so if you try to wear wool, you'll roast.

If you're used to dressing for this kind of weather, and have the suitable cotton layers, and don't mind your hands and face still feeling cold, you'll be fine. If not, you won't be happy - so come at a warmer time.

How do I know all this? I was in the Netherlands in April 2012, and brought one cotton and one cashmere sweater (as well as a coat with a lining). I couldn't wear the cashmere - at all during the 10 days - because it was too hot, but I had to wear the cotton sweater every single day, whether it matched my clothes or not, or else I froze. When I went to northern England and Scotland in September 2016, I brought a lighter cotton sweater and only brought other clothes that matched it. During the days the weather was "normal" for that time and place (damp with periods of rain), I did fine, although I did wish I had remembered gloves. Then, a heat wave hit, and I didn't need the sweater.

As you can see, I found it hard to dress correctly for this kind of weather, but learned. Others don't seem to have this problem. It's definitely different for dressing for New York City at that time of year - at least for me it was.

Posted by
2829 posts

Always, always bring at least one set of clothes for "cool and rainy" weather in a visit to the Netherlands.

March is a transition month. You might get some gorgeous early spring days, with plenty of sunlight without heat, or a humid cold weather with some wind and incessant light rain.

What is is virtually guaranteed is lack of ice or snow.

Posted by
52 posts

I will also be visiting Amsterdam in March next year and was curious about whether or not canal cruises run year round or if they only run in the summer? Can anyone shed any insight? I didn't know if the canals freeze over at any point throughout the year.

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you to those who provided helpful information. We will pack an assortment of layers and definitely bring our travel umbrellas and hope for sunny skies!

Posted by
1005 posts

Regarding canal cruises, they run all year. There are many firms that go from docks right next to Centraal Station. I'd just go there and take the next boat that looks comfortable--and is well heated.

Posted by
985 posts

Laura, hubby and I are here now. The temps have ranged from upper forties to mid twenties with wind chill. Humidity stays high around ninety-six percent. When it has rained it has been short or else misty. We've been all over this city and country in the last couple of weeks and only took a tram in city once due to distance and time constraints. I have needed my thermal top about half the time, the bottoms only if I am wearing jeans. I'm thinking you will be fine with light thermals you could use for sleepwear or warmth, a light fleece jacket or vest and windproof/waterproof jacket. My jacket is water resistant but I sprayed waterproofing on it and have stayed completely dry.

Posted by
985 posts

Don't bring an umbrella. Waste of weight and space. Hooded jacket is better here. The wind is not kind to umbrellas in Amsterdam.

Posted by
437 posts

The canal boats are heated. The Light Festival cruise I took on Christmas Day was very comfortable.

In March the days are longer and Amsterdam is always a great place to visit.