Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam in January

Our first trip to Amsterdam the first week in January..planning to go to the Reiksmuseum, Van Gogh and take in the Light Festival. Is it advisable ( or possible) to buy tickets online before arriving? Anything else that would be helpful to know? Staying at Wiechmann.
Thanks

Posted by
2329 posts

Definitely buy tickets in advance for the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh.

Posted by
1280 posts

That time of year, you don’t need to book tickets for the Rijksmuseum in advance. It’s almost 9am as I write this and when I check the website of the Rijksmuseum, none of the time slots for today are sold out yet and the museum is just about to open for the day. There will be less tourists in January, so no need to buy a ticket in advance.
The Van Gogh Museum is another matter. Even though there are still some time slots available for today, I would buy your tickets in advance so you can book a favorable time slot.
You don’t mention the Anne Frank House, but if you want to visit that, you must definitely book in advance. The Anne Frank House is small, so capacity is limited and it’s hugely popular. Tickets for January go on sale tomorrow and you should buy them asap.