Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam Hotels

I will be traveling with a group of 6 (3 couples) and we want to stay in Amsterdam.
We'd like to stay in the heart of Amsterdam so that we don't need to get a car.
Any suggestions for a nice hotel in Amsterdam with easy access to tours in and around Amsterdam?
It's the first trip to The Netherlands for all of us - older couples but not old!
Any suggestions for tours and/or places that we should definitely see while in Amsterdam appreciated.

Thanks for any suggestions that you may have including area in and around Amsterdam that makes the most sense.

Posted by
3 posts

We would like to tag onto the above question - same age group. My wife and I are arriving for a Best of Europe 21 day tour early in the evening on July 5th. The tour leaves from the Ambassador City Centre Hotel. That hotel seemed a bit pricy (at $198 early bird rate/night or maybe not, as I am unfamiliar with room fees in Europe) when I went to their website thinking to reserve the two pretrip nights. I figure our first day we will mostly just be recovering from jet lag so we would like a suggestion of an easy-to-get-to hotel/room for our first nights ever in Europe that are easy to find and not too expensive.

I appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Posted by
5579 posts

I recommend the Anne Frank museum and the Van Gogh museum. You need to make the Anne Frank tickets WELL in advance. The Van Gogh museum at least a day or so ahead depending on when you will be there. Another hint, if you don't prepurchase tickets for Van Gogh and you arrive to a long ticket line, purchase the tickets online. If you don't have a data plan, you can get wifi by standing next to next to one of the museum buildings.

Posted by
11131 posts

I recommend that you book the Van Gogh Museum well ahead as the tickets are for a timed entry. The Rijksmuseum tickets are for any day or time so buy those too. Anne Frank Haus tickets sell out far in advance.
We like to stay in the Cental Canal Ring at Hotel l’Ambassade, a series of connected merchant houses. Perfect location that looks like what you think Amsterdam looks like! This hotel is near trams that will transport you around the city.

Posted by
8293 posts

The Owl Hotel might suit you. Walking distance to the Rijk and Van Gogh museums. Nice lodging for “older but not old” couples.

Posted by
8124 posts

Amsterdam is one of those cities that really fills up on weekends with revelers from the U.K. While the city has many, many properties to stay in, they're really filled up on weekends.
If at all possible, try to be in Amsterdam during the week.
We used to stay in B&B's in the Amsterdam suburbs, but the places we stayed have sold out for big money as condos. Being in the center city is very important to getting the full experience of this very liberal city. Booking.com is a great place to to find center city accommodations.
Our last visit, we stayed in an airport business hotel--a short free shuttle ride from the airport. Hotel Schiphol has huge rooms, and they're very well priced. They ran us over to the terminal where we caught a 15 minute train ride into Amsterdam's main train station. The rooms are the nicest place for the money in town--and essentially a secret. But there again, we've been to A'dam many times.

Posted by
3961 posts

What time of the year will you be in Amsterdam? We will be there mid September and found out it's the same time as the annual Broadcasters Convention. We were fortunate to find a BnB in the Museumplein area walking distance to Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum. Just recently attended an Amsterdam class at RS and received the most up to date ticketing information for Anne Frank House and Van Gogh Museum. Both need to be done online. Anne Frank: www.annefrank.org. Online sales start exactly 2 months out.
We plan to do a walking tour, Canal Boat Ride, Resistence Museum, day trip, just to name a few.

Posted by
166 posts

My favourite hotel in Amsterdam is the RHO HOTEL, adjacent to dam Square. Last time I was there was Aug 2017. Superb location, walking distance to many things, multiple tram stops. buffet breakfast included in the rate, and discount if you book early. Hotel also has elevators to make it even easier. Also suggest Golden Choptsitcks restaurant. 5 minute walk and good food at a reasonable price.
Also, right down the street is Rene's Crosssiants! Wonderful pastry and other delectables. Another vote for Van Gogh and Rijksmuseums. Both great. For Van Gogh, getting tickets online is a smart move. Rijks, don't think you would need to do that. Have a fab time!

https://www.rhohotel.com/
http://www.goldenchopsticks.nl/nl/
https://renescroissanterie.nl/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8jbFHQTC5I

Posted by
228 posts

Yes I know , here we go again about Anne Frank HUIS ! It's not Haus .
House / English
Huis / Dutch
Haus / German
Considering the life story of Anne Frank it just does not sound right to name the house " HAUS " .

Posted by
517 posts

We were in the area last April and stayed in Haarlem. We took the airport bus from the airport and used it as our base for travel to Amsterdam and surrounding area by train. It was a wonderful place to come back to after the city. Great restaurants and bars. The museum pass was perfect for us in Haarlem and Amsterdam. If I was to stay in Amsterdam I would select the Jordan area.

Posted by
27 posts

Thank you everyone for your suggestions - very helpful.

Just love this forum for getting information from fellow travelers.

Posted by
307 posts

will just throw this in...
Consider renting a house or houseboat or apartment for the six of you.
We rented a house last year - there were 4 of us (2 older couples but not old)!
Worked out well and gave us a little more room than a hotel and the price was competitive.
Try VRBO, HomeAway or Air Bnb