Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam - Hotel/Location Question

I am planning to use Hilton points for a stay in Amsterdam next spring. The DoubleTree at the Centraal Train Station appears to be in an ideal location and is where I was planning to stay. However, it is about double the cost (whether by points or cash) of the Hampton Inn by the Amsterdam Arena. I am planning to purchase the I Amsterdam Card, so my understanding is that the card includes free transportation within the city, including along the yellow and green metro lines that the Arena stop is on.

For those who are familiar with the city (I've never been), would it be a major inconvenience to stay at the Hampton Inn by the Arena? It doesn't look like there is a ton to do in that area. However, by public transport, it looks like it would take a comparable amount of time via public transportation to get to a lot of the sites we'd try to see (Anne Frank Huis, Rijksmuseum, etc.).

For reference, we are planning to be there three nights, with possibly partial day trips to the Keukenhof and the Zaanse Schans, but otherwise probably staying in the city.

Posted by
20001 posts

If you want to stay in the suburbs of Amsterdam, the Hampton Arena is fine, but it will have none of the character of the central Amsterdam. Central Amsterdam costs more because of the location. Real estate mantra: location, location, location.

Posted by
398 posts

Right, I appreciate the reason why the DoubleTree is twice the price and if the location justifies it, I'm happy to stay there. I'm just wondering about the convenience factor for the Arena area. When we travel we don't linger in our hotel or its environs - we are typically out and about all day, only at the hotel to sleep and eat breakfast.

Posted by
32692 posts

having stayed at a number of both Hamptons and Doubletrees there is generally quite a difference in amenities (I've not stayed at either of the hotels you looked at although I walked past the Doubletree.