Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam canal cruise

Hello! My friend and I will be in Amsterdam for a few days at the beginning of October and we'd love to do a canal cruise. I see that there are many options and they all have mixed reviews so I was wondering if anyone has one they'd recommend (or one to stay away from). Thanks!

Posted by
6788 posts

Boat rides along a canal in Amsterdam are a commodity - there are so many options, and honestly I'm not sure that it's worth worrying about significant differences between them (I'm sure others will chime in with some of those differences). To ensure you have the best experience, I'd simply suggest the following:

1. Look for a boat going by that has what you want - the size, configuration, etc. If you don't like what you see, just wait a bit, another will come by in a few minutes. Try to be among the first on the boat so you can pick your seats. The biggest difference I think you will find is whether or not you can sit outside, in a good spot for viewing and unobstructed photos. If you get on the boat first, you can grab one of the prime spots. If you're late getting on, you may be stuck inside - which is only a benefit if it's raining. Which leads to...

2. Do it on a nice, sunny day. It rains a lot in Amsterdam. If you're there during wet weather, try and time it to get on the boat between showers - and then sit outside. OTOH, if it's raining constantly and that's all you have to work with...maybe a seat inside would be best.

Posted by
2128 posts

Hi Liz, I’ve done cruises with the Blue Boat Company twice and was pleased with them. It takes about an hour and the commentary is provided in several languages. Definitely a different perspective from the canal. Have fun!

Posted by
2047 posts

For a low key boat tour, I recommend Rederij Kooij. It cost €11 each and lasts over an hour. The boats have glass tops, so great if it’s raining. The tour goes on many canals and onto the main waterway.

Posted by
61 posts

Be sure to Goggle "Those Dam Boat Guys." The website is fantastic and their tour even better. I booked and toured with them last April and, along with my wife, sister in law and brother in law, had an absolutely memorable time. I would not even consider any other tour company. Our boat had 8 people and one captain - Captain Joe! His knowledge and humor made the trip so much fun. Check them out.

Posted by
1321 posts

My two cents on the Dam Boat Guys...

Just returned from the Netherlands this weekend so here are my comments
Dam Boat Guys - We booked the 5pm the first night we were in Amsterdam. Captain Morgan was our guide. She is from Louisiana and has lived in Amsterdam I think she said 5 years. Although she is quite entertaining I'm not sure I remember much of what she said...I didn't learn very much about Amsterdam really and would have liked an overview of "where the heck we were" on the canals we cruised. I wouldn't book the Dam Boat Guys again unless I just wanted to be with a bunch of people on a canal boat. Too much time was spent doing introductions.

Posted by
3551 posts

I just took the 11 euro canal cruise for an hour from Red. kooij Worked out very well.
I picked it up from just in front of National Archaeological museum.