Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam

My wife and I will be boarding a Viking cruise on November 24th and will be arriving in Amsterdam on Wednesday the 21st. Any suggestions for sites/restaurants etc to see and do with a couple of days in this area? Any side trips? Thanks

Posted by
248 posts

I was just there. With only 2 days, I suggest you not make any side trips since there is more than enough to do in Amsterdam (I'm assuming you haven't been in Amsterdam before).
Just a few things to do in Amsterdam:
1. Do at least one of the guided walks listed in Rick's Amsterdam guidebook.
2. Small boat tour of Amsterdam canals.
3. Rijksmuseum - best collection anywhere of the Dutch Masters
4. Van Gogh Museum - biggest collection of Van Goghs anywhere but you need to make advance reservations online (it's easy)
5. Anne Frank House - advance reservation is now mandatory, go to their website.
6. Depending on your interests, there is night life.

Posted by
8124 posts

Take in one of the Indonesian Ristoffel restaurants for dinner. They start bringing out course after course of small dishes to you. We couldn't get over how gracious the people were in the Ristoffel we went into, and the food was great. The other good meals for our tastes in Amsterdam are the Argentine steakhouses that serve premium beef we're not used to eating.

Posted by
307 posts

We came early for a cruise this past spring.

Depending on where you are coming from, give yourself some time for jet lag.
In Amsterdam, the Rijks or Van Gogh is a good bet especially if the weather is iffy.
Pay a little extra for one of the guided tours, they were very informative and helpful.
Depending on your arrival/departure, you might try the International Flower Market
Definitely take a canal tour; we used the Blue boat.

The Rijstaffel is a lot of fun. We went to Sama Sebo but Blauw also has a good rice table as well as others.
Another memorable evening spot is Martine's Table if you can get a reservation. We enjoyed our dinner and conversation at Martine's

I would not try to overdo the two days you are in Amsterdam.

If you arrive early morning from an overnight flight, I would head to your hotel, check in and do a little walking/wandering around to get a feel for the city; a canal tour, and dinner.
Spend the next day at the Rijks/Van Gogh or the AnneFrank house or whatever you wish, dinner and back to the hotel.
You will ready to enjoy your cruise
Have fun!

Posted by
3992 posts

It all depends on your interests. Look at Amsterdam travel books at your local library and have fun exploring!

Posted by
4037 posts

This site right here has lots of ideas. See the Explore Europe menu top left. It unlocks plenty of advice.