Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam

We are travelling to Amsterdam in September. We want to visit Anne Frank house, take a canal cruise and a bike tour of the city. Any suggestions concerning those activities or other activities in Amsterdam would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
11156 posts

Book tickets to the Anne Frank house as soon as you know your dates as tickets are hard to get ahold of.

Posted by
1226 posts

Dam Boat guys is a fun company for boat tours, but read their website as it's not for everyone (not the staid glass-topped canal routine). As for bikes, there are many bike stores around town to rent bikes from that may also have tours. Two we've used are Macbikes and Blackbikes. They both have websites where you can probably find info about tours. When we go to Amsterdam, we just rent bikes straight away for the duration of the stay and use them to get everywhere, but we are a biking family, and biking in Amsterdam is next level so a tour might be more your speed

Posted by
13934 posts

Any interest in the Van Gogh or Rijksmuseum? You'll need timed entries for both.

Rijksmuseum - no need to book this very far in advance at this point in time. In looking at the official site it looks like there are plenty of openings all day long tomorrow so you'd probably only need to book a day or two before. DO download the Rijksmuseum app - it is excellent. Last time I was there you could buy your entrance ticket thru the app which was very convenient. I did not go in and look this time for you but you can check it out.

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/tickets/articles

Van Gogh Museum - This one is more likely to see out on a particular day. I see Saturday of this week is completely sold based on the website ticketing page. IF this is of interest to you, I"d book several weeks to a month in advance.

https://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/en/visit/tickets-and-ticket-prices

Dutch Resistance Museum - Since you are interested in the Anne Frank house, this museum may also be of interest. I found it posed the dilemma of Dutch citizens very well.

https://www.verzetsmuseum.org/en/world-war-ii-in-the-netherlands

Posted by
1 posts

Hi, have fun in Amsterdam! You could visit the Adam tower. Its located at the north side of Amsterdam. Easy to get there by crossing from the central station with the ferry. We have used public transportation but at night its more essential to take a taxi. We have have used www.taxiridesnl.nl . Dont forget that the use of bikes is also absolutly an wonderful solution.

Posted by
1 posts

Any suggestions on purchasing city passes in advance? I see the I Amsterdam no longer allows admission to the Van Gogh. We wish to visit the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum as priority.

Posted by
107 posts

FYI Between May 23 and December 1, 2022, the Dutch Resistance Museum is closed for work on the new permanent exhibition.

Posted by
203 posts

September might be quieter but you should consider booking Dan Boat Guys ahead of time if you go with them. We were there in June and found them booked up the whole time we were there. There are several different companies though so you should find a cruise if you’re not super particular about the company. Anne Frank house sells out very quickly. Hopefully Sept will be easier and less crowded but we found most things needed pre-bookings/timed entries. We did a Hungry Birds Food tour around DePijp and that was a family highlight for the whole trip.