Please sign in to post.

Airport Express Bus 197

I just used this bus and learned a few things I wish I had known earlier.

First, it took a little bit of work to find the correct location. I blame this on a sleep deprived brain! You should walk to the first island for buses and turn right to B11. I had read that you could buy your ticket on the bus. This is only true on your way to the airport. At the airport you need to look for a bright red van parked nearby and buy your ticket before the bus comes. You may board the bus through any door once you have your ticket.

There is an excellent display showing the next stops so if you know the name of your stop, you should do fine.

I hope this helps someone else

Posted by
8889 posts

Carol, can you please explain yourself.
What on earth is this bus? What airport does it go to/from? Where does it go to/from? When and how often does it run and why should it be an advantage for me?

Posted by
8261 posts

Thank you for letting me know that my post should include more info. I had thought that since it was posted on the Netherlands Forum that the location would be clear. Perhaps I can still blame this on sleep deprived brain? Bus 197 goes from Amsterdam Schiphol airport to Amsterdam

Posted by
5955 posts

Just a slight correction- I have used Bus 197 every time I have landed at Schiphol- it is super easy, cheap and quick. I was just there less than 2 weeks ago.
To find the bus- exit thru the very front doors of terminal and go across to the bus island- the bus is at Platform B9 (not B11). There is a van/kiosk right there where you can purchase either a 1 way for 5 Euros or RT for 10E. Signs at the stop will show when next bus is due to arrive- IIRC they run about every 15 min.
There are destination screens inside the bus noting next stop and subsequent stops and estimated time of travel/arrival.

http://www.bus197.nl

Posted by
8889 posts

Thanks Carol, Yes, it is sometimes difficult to write posts to cover the fact that they will be read without any background or context. And there is more than one airport in the Netherlands.
Whenever I have landed at Schiphol heading for Amsterdam I have just got the train into Amsterdam Centraal. It is quick and cheap.

Posted by
5955 posts

Bus 197 is more useful if you are staying away from Centraal- near the museums for example. No need to get a tram after the train or fight the mobs around the station.

Posted by
11294 posts

"Bus 197 is more useful if you are staying away from Centraal- near the museums for example. No need to get a tram after the train or fight the mobs around the station."

Exactly - if you're staying near the museums, Leidseplein, etc, it's a "one seat ride" and so can be easier than a train plus a tram.