Please sign in to post.

Advance Train Tickets?

My husband and I will be in the Netherlands in mid September. While there, we will be staying in Amsterdam but plan to travel to Middleburg for a day or so then to Maasstricht (and a visit to the American cemetery) and then back to Amsterdam. We may also take a day trip to Leiden during our stay.

We plan to travel by train but I am unsure if we should purchase a rail pass or individual tickets? Should we purchase advance tickets?

TIA!

Posted by
6291 posts

We bought a rail pass when we were there a couple of years ago, and loved the convenience. We were based in Leiden, but made several day trips elsewhere. I'll see if I can find the kind of pass we had, and get you a link. Unless someone beats me to it, of course.

Posted by
2487 posts

I don't know the costs of a rail pass valid for the Netherlands, but these are the prices for your trips (return ticket 2nd class):
Amsterdam-Middelburg: EUR 53
Amsterdam-Maastricht: EUR 53
Amsterdam-Leiden: EUR 19,20
Both the trips to Middelburg and Maastricht can be done cheaper with the Holland Travel Ticket off-peak, which costs EUR 41 if you don't mind starting your journey after 09:00 on weekdays.
Advance buying isn't necessary (domestic trains in the Netherlands don't come with reservations) nor does it give you any kind of discount. Buying your tickets at the NS site, saves you EUR 1 compared to the ticket machine or window.

Added:
The 2nd class Eurail Benelux Pass for three days within a month costs USD 138.

Posted by
6291 posts

I checked our records, and it was TripKey we used. It links to your credit card; each person has to have his or her own card.

You can use Tripkey for all forms of public transportation, including trams and buses in Amsterdam as well as domestic trains.

We liked the convenience of it, but as Tonfromleiden said, buying tickets in the Netherlands is simple.

Here's a link if you want to check it out: www.tripkey.nl

Posted by
2487 posts

Tripkey's concept was marvellous, but somehow it didn't came from the ground. It doesn't really exist anymore.

Posted by
6291 posts

tomfromleiden, I'm sorry to hear that. We found it easy to use, and very convenient.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for all of your replies and help! The trips are on separate days - not 1 long day. I was getting overwhelmed from reading too many different travel sites but you have provided the information we need and it is not complicated :)