Please sign in to post.

2 days in Amsterdam

Hi,
I am planning to visit Europe, during the start of May around 7th - 10th. We are a family of 3, including a 4 yrs kid. We are travelling from Asia and will be reaching Amsterdam around 2pm on 7th May and we have time till 9th evening when we are planning to travel to Paris. Our main highlight would be to Visit the Keukenhof Gardens and the Zaanse Schans (countryside with Windmills and Wooden houses). Along with that we would like to spend some time in Amsterdam city visiting Anne frank /Van gahn museum along with a relaxed canal cruise. So will it be wise full to go for the IamAmsterdam pass for a day or two. Will the card/pass cover the bus and entry ticket for Keukenhof Gardens and the Zaanse Schans. Or shoudl we go for a self arranged travel option.Please share your opinion. We are finding it very difficult to decide on the same. Also please let us know if the card cut-off is midnight hours or its 24 hrs clock.Also please share some good budget hotels suitable for family for our stay.

Thanks in advance !

Posted by
31 posts

Hi RJean, thanks for your response. So basically what i understood is the Amsterdam passes works at hour basis. So if my first swipe is at 1pm of a day then a 24 hr pass will be valid till 1pm of next day. But still i did not get if i get a I am Amsterdam Card will i get free entry to Kuekenhof garden and Zaanse Schans along with free to-fro Bus trip. This will then help me in getting the correct pass. Also should i buy it online or can i get it from Train/airport. Will there be any price difference.?

Posted by
2487 posts

How much you can reasonably do in those two days, especially with your child?
The Keukenhof will take the best part of a morning or afternoon, leaving half a day to do something else. I very much doubt whether that should be the Anne Frank Huis. Something like the Scheepvaartmuseum (Maritime Museum) will be more suitable for a young child.
The Zaanse Schans can be as long or as short as you want, depending on how many attractions you visit. You can also limit yourself to walk the terrain with its windmills and traditional houses. That can be combined with the Van Gogh Museum (which has timed entry).
And you should allow yourself enough time to enjoy the city itself. It is compact (half an hour across the historical centre), so you don't need public transport, unless you have your accommodation far out of the centre.

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks RJean and tonfromleiden for your response. After going through the suggested sites, it seems Holland Pass build your card is a better option for me since i have to cover the Keukenhof and Zaanse Schans.

Posted by
2487 posts

Don't forget to make reservations for the Van Gogh Museum!
With a card they are free, but you must have them for reason of their timed entry policy.

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks all for your responses.
Which would be valid for my travel to Kuekenhof gardens and Zaanse Schans 1) GVB day tickets or 2) Amsterdam reginal ticket
I am planning to cover Kuekenhof gardens and Zaanse Schans on the same day. And then a day roaming in Amsterdam city.Please share your valuable opinion.

Thanks in advance

Posted by
307 posts

Keukenhof deserves a whole day, because you have to include travel time.
Zaanse Shanse is on 15 minutes away from Amsterdam and your child will enjoy the outdoors.
To me it makes more sense to spend a couple of hours at Zaanse Shans and the rest of the day in Amsterdam. You could easily do either Anne Frank or Van Gogh with a canal cruise or do all three depending on energy levels.
Don't have any recommendations on budget hotels. You might find something more reasonably priced in a suburb, such as Zaandam. Look at the Inntel or Zaan Inn in Zaandam.

Posted by
2487 posts

The GVB pass is only valid on the municipal transport (bus, tram, metro) within Amsterdam.
The Amsterdam Region Travel Ticket brings you both to the Keukenhof and the Zaanse Schans.
Mind that your child can travel the whole day on the train with a so-called Railrunner ticket for EUR 2,50. I don't know the ticket policy of the Keukenhof Express bus, but if necessary you can pay for him/her before boarding the bus at Schiphol.