Please sign in to post.

Van Gogh Museum

How much time should I plan to spend to get to see and enjoy this museum? How long does it take to get from the train station to the museum by tram? Any suggestions about planning my visit? Thanks!

Posted by
7027 posts

It's been a lot of years now but I seem to remember it was about a 15min (give or take a few mins) tram ride from central train station. We were on a budget timewise so allotted 1-1/2 hrs (including getting there) and I was able to see what I wanted to see in that time. Of course you could spend longer just staring at his amazing paintings if you're a fan.

Edit: We were there in Sept but I don't remember what day of week or time of day (mid-day I think) and there wasn't much of a wait to get in. Hopefully someone who's been there recently could tell you about that.

Posted by
354 posts

It will probably take 15-20 mins by tram, depending on how crowded the tram is. And factor in waiting time for the tram. I strongly recommend prebooking tickets to the museum, just in case there's a long line. I've never seen the museum without a line of people outside! Depending on how much you like Van Gogh and the art of his era, an hour and a half should suffice. There's a museum cafe if you get hungry, the food choices in the area immediately around the museum are rather limited.

Posted by
670 posts

Thanks for the advice (and info on tram lines!) I tried booking tickets on line, and the credit card info went through and I got a confirmation email, but when I try to click on the link to download the tickets, I get a "waiting for download" message. So I've sent a "help" request and hope I hear back from them. I don't want to double book, but I also really want the 9:00 time slot!

Has anyone had trouble dealing with the online booking site....and any suggestions of what to do about it?

thanks!

Posted by
161 posts

We just walked right in a little after 9 in the morning. We had plenty of room to enjoy the paintings, as well as an interesting feature they added since the last time I was there-- through a miscrope look at the canvases to see his technique and materials. By 10:15/10:30 the place was getting crowded and people were moving cattle-like past paintings with glazed looks on their faces. Timing is everything.

Posted by
670 posts

Thanks for the advice! I had planned on a later time, but am happy to have changed to 9:00 a.m. in hopes of smaller crowds. I was finally able to download the tickets and think I'm all set.