Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam in 2 days

Looking for advice for getting around in Amsterdam. We have 2 days and plan to stop at Anne Frank house and Van Gogh, Riks
but unsure if hop on hop off is best choice. And which hop on hop off company is best to go with. Any other suggestions for
sites in the city would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Robyn

Posted by
9099 posts

Amsterdam is a very compact city so it's easy to do a lot in a short amount of time. There is a new hop-on/off bus service which started operation last years but it won't save you any time or aggravation. Walking and using the trams is the best way to get around. The Rijks and Van Gough are very near each other.

http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Amsterdam

Posted by
11294 posts

I agree that walking and taking trams are the two best methods of getting around. A two day (actually 48 hour) ticket is €12, which may sound expensive, but a single ticket is €2.80, so the two day ticket pays off if you take 5 rides (in two days that's very likely, particularly if your hotel is not an easy walk from sites you want to see).

Posted by
2081 posts

Robyn,

Amsterdam is really walkable if you're mobile.

there are trams that you can catch from the Anne Franke area and to the Museum area.

depending on what you all like to do/see there maybe something that floats your boat.

Just a note. If you care to and are near the train station, there is a tourist information store across the street. Its marked with VVV and you can buy an inexpensive I-amsterdam map there. It has the tram lines/stops and also most if not all of the things to do/see.

happy trails.

Posted by
58 posts

As mentioned in previous posts, Amsterdam is indeed a compact and very walkable city and has a great tram system. The GBT public-transit information office in front of Central Station can answer questions (next to TI, Mon-Fri 7.00am to 7.00pm, Sat-Sun 10.00am to 6.00pm). Its free, multilingual Public Transport Amsterdam Tourist Guide includes a transit map and explains ticket options and tram connections to all the sights. As already mentioned, the two-day pass is 12 Euros. For more public transit information visit www.gvb.nl. When walking, keep an eye out for bicycle traffic and be aware of which lanes are designated for pedestrians and which are designated for bicycles

During high season (late March-Oct), you can avoid long ticket lines at the Rijksmuseum either by booking tickets online, or by getting a Museumkaart sightseeing pass or by buying tickets in advance. At the Anne Frank House, the only line-skipping option is booking tickets ahead (or, if you'll be buying a Museumkaart, reserving an entry time). The Museumkaart costs 50 Euros and is valid for a year throughout the Netherlands, and is worthwhile for anyone visiting at least six museums. It is sold at all participating museums (buy it at a less-crowded one to avoid lines).

Advance tickets for the Rijksmuseum and Anne Frank House, can be purchased online at their websites: www.annefrank.org and www.rijksmuseum.nl

Posted by
9099 posts

".....During high season (late March-Oct), you can avoid long ticket lines at the Rijksmuseum either by booking tickets online, or by getting a Museumkaart sightseeing pass or by buying tickets in advance...."

While booking tickets on-line/pass allows one to skip the ticket line it doesn't avoid the line to get into the building. So it's essentail to get to the museum when it opens to avoid the chaos. From the Rijks ticket site:

"Please note that it may not be possible to avoid queuing due to crowdedness in the museum. The busiest hours are 11:00-15:00 and in the holidays. Plan your visit around these times to avoid the crowds"

Posted by
470 posts

Robyn,

Getting around: Rent a bicycle! I rented a bike during my visit to Amsterdam in 2012. It was a fun and easy way to get around. I enjoyed wonderful mobility. I rented from Black Bicycles (http://www.black-bikes.com/en/), but there are other services, including one next to the main train station. Getting around on bicycle was not dangerous at all because the city has a substantial network of dedicated lanes and even bicycle traffic lights. The drivers in cars are courteous, and there are few SUVs the size of army tanks that block views. The rental agency provides two locks and instructions on how to use them.

More important, the bicycling is integral to the culture of Amsterdam. I saw pizzas being delivered on bikes, execs in suits on bikes, police on bikes, couples on dates on bikes--what a difference from the U.S. The noise level of Amsterdam is low because of bikes. The people are incredibly handsome. I attributed their good looks in part to bicycling. Amsterdam residents get their exercise from bicycling.

Sites: As a literature major, I cannot overstate how much I enjoyed seeing the Anne Frank House. Key piece of advice: Get a ticket online before you leave! There were hundreds waiting to get in when I went, so I was glad that I ordered tickets in advance. My waiting time: about 10 seconds. Also, it's worth visiting the Anne Frank family residence on Merwederplein in Southeast Amsterdam. Nobody was there when I visited. Unfortunately, it's closed to the public. I just wanted to see her family residence because I have read the diary about 10 times.

I also enjoyed Vondelpark in Amsterdam. It makes Central Park in New York look like a patch of grass.

I also loved the Dutch Resistance Museum in Amsterdam.

I wanted to see the Van Gogh Museum, but it was closed while I was there. The Reichsmseum in Amsterdam is probably among the top 10 in Europe.

The Dutch people are wonderful.

Posted by
148 posts

We were just there in late April and walked everywhere. (7-8 miles per day). No complaints and would walk it again.
We took a 'free' walking tour of the city with http://www.newamsterdamtours.com/
It is a 3 hr walking tour with a 20 min snack/potty/coffee break. Our tour was with Aussie ex-pat Julian and he was witty, entertaining and informative. Fun! I HIGHLY recommend this tour! They meet daily behind the monument in Dam Sq at 11 ish and divide the crowd into smaller groups of 20-30. There is no need to pay the 3 Euro booking fee. And...by the way, the tour is NOT really free, you are expected to tip what you thought the tour was worth. Julian was also very helpful with general tourist questions, e.g. restaurants, bars, sights and advice in general. It's a great place to start an orientation of the city. Suitable for all age groups as long as you can walk leisurely for 3 hrs.

Posted by
731 posts

Robyn, when is your trip? Are you staying in Amsterdam for those nights?

Posted by
64 posts

Hi Robyn,

I visited Amsterdam in Feb 2014 and was very disappointed with the HOHO bus... and I'm not snooty about them. I usually buy a ticket in every city I visit. In Amsterdam, however, the stops aren't always marked, so good luck finding where the bus is supposed to stop. I found this to be the case pretty much everywhere except the Rijksmuseum stop - it was very confusing, and a huge time waster. They also don't run very frequently, so you'll be wasting time waiting for a bus when you could be walking around (it is a very walkable city) seeing the sights. Finally, the commentary is terrible, and they park you in front of tourist traps (like the diamond place) for 10-15 minutes.

The public rail system is quick, easy, and safe, but will add up with lots of use - I believe it was around €2,80 per ride (ticket valid for 1 hour, I believe). Buying the day pass might be a good option for you, just to save some time. Here's a table: http://en.gvb.nl/reisinformatie/welke-kaart/Pages/default.aspx

One note - the Anne Frank house was open much later than other attractions - if you're visiting before October 31, the museum is open until 9pm! So, don't make the trip there during the day, as you will have to deal with the VERY long line (although, going first thing in the morning is an option). The line was far shorter at night, as people wind down, head to dinner, etc. I would recommend using your 9-5 hours for other attractions, and visiting the museum at night. Here are the hours: http://www.annefrank.org/en/Museum/Practical-information/Opening-hours-prices-and-location1/

The Van Gogh museum was also open late on Fridays while we were there, and had a bit of a party going on. :) Doing things "after hours" is very helpful if you have a tight schedule... you can fit more into your day.

My suggestion for a museum would be the Dutch Resistance Museum (http://www.verzetsmuseum.org/museum/en/museum), and a visit to the deportation center (http://www.hollandscheschouwburg.nl/en/history/deportation-centre/the-hollandsche-schouwburg). If you are into WWII history, you may also try this guided tour: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188590-d1758423-Reviews-Amsterdam_in_World_War_II_Walking_Tour-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html Finally, we really enjoyed the hour we spent at a wine/cheese tasting: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188590-d1903817-Reviews-Reypenaer_Cheese_Tasting_Room-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Have a wonderful trip!