Please sign in to post.

1 day in Amsterdam

Hello,
I will be flying into Schiphol from London on April 15 at 10:30 am, and flying back to London early next morning. It will be my first visit to Amsterdam. I have not yet decided if I should stay in a hotel close to the airport or near the city center. I definitely want to visit the Keukenhof gardens, but not sure if I can also fit in a canal cruise and a museum visit in the time I have. Would appreciate advice on how I can make the best use of my short stay.
Thanks,
Thomas

Posted by
1306 posts

By the time you will have disembarked and have gone thru passport control it will be 11:30. Finding your way to The Keukenhof Express bus, the drive there etc will take another hour so you won’t arrive at the Keukenhof until 12:30/13:00. You need at the very least 2 hours there, but that’s the absolute minimum. Then another hour to 1.5 hour to travel to Amsterdam center from the Keukenhof. That means you won’t arrive in Amsterdam before 16:00. The Rijksmuseum closes at 17:00, so I wouldn’t visit that museum. The Van Gogh Museum is open until 18:00, so that may be an option. Another option is the Anne Frank house which stays open until 22:00.
Canal cruises run in the evening too, so you definitely have time to do that.
I would definitely stay in the city, to maximize your time there. Public transport from the city runs frequently.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you, Dutch_traveler! What if I visit Keukenhof at 4 pm (I believe it closes at 7:30 pm and the Sun is still up at that time in April), but visit Rijksmuseum and do the canal cruise earlier in the afternoon? I could do then possibly do another night canals cruise, dinner and walk around the city. Would that be practical?

Posted by
741 posts

I am curious on why you are going to Amsterdam at all on such a schedule. I thought, maybe business, but since your plan is full, it doesn’t seem like even time for business. So, perhaps you can stay another night and do those things without being fraught with a rushed timeframe.

Posted by
10 posts

Hi treemoss2. Thanks for your response. I know it's a rush, but unfortunately I can't spend more than 1 day in Amsterdam. I love tulips, so I definitely want to visit Keukenhof.

Posted by
1306 posts

I’m sorry but nothing will really be practical when you only have 1 day and your flight arrives this late. Yes, I know that technically 10:30 isn’t late, but it is late when you only have 1 day and you have to go thru passport control upon arrival.

The reason I suggested to go to The Keukenhof first is because it’s very conveniently located from the airport. If you check on a map to see where the airport, the Keukenhof and Amsterdam are located, you will see why.
You state you love tulips so I would make The Keukenhof your priority and consider everything else you may see to be a bonus.

Posted by
7554 posts

First, I would consider looking to see if you can leave most of your luggage somewhere in London, at a hotel, or even just a locker/ left luggage office. You only really need a change of clothes and a few other items, and having just a daypack will make things easier.

You sound like you already have plane tickets, but the Eurostar train at about 4 hours would have been just as quick, and maybe easier than the plane. But yeah you could probably fit in the Rijksmuseum in quick, then head to Keukenhof. For a canal cruise, look at an evening cruise, many start as late as 9:00 PM.

For Hotel, anywhere probably works, I would avoid the airport, stay in or near Amsterdam to enjoy the evening. If places in central Amsterdam do not appeal, look near the Sloterdijk Train station area, there are about a dozen hotels there, from chains to B&Bs. It is on the main line to Schiphol, about 5 minutes or so by train from Centraal Station. The airport is only 10 to 15 minutes away, and the train station is right under the airport terminal.

Posted by
32752 posts

is this part of the same trip home via Copenhagen? Or on the way in? I worry about your flight "back to London early next morning". Are you cobbling together a bunch of unrelated flights? I worry about how early said flight is and how much running around Heathrow (is it Heathrow?) you have to do for the next leg. I hope these two excursions into town and the various flights all work out for you. I worry that any issues on the way could bring the whole lot down like a house of cards. Good luck!

Posted by
10 posts

Assuming my flight from London lands at Schiphol at 10:30 am, can I get to Amsterdam Centraal by 1:30 pm by train from Schiphol?

Posted by
1306 posts

It should take much less than 3 hours from arrival time to reach Amsterdam central train station. But why do you want to go there? To catch a train to someplace else? I thought you wanted to visit the Rijksmuseum? If so, it’s much more convenient to take the direct bus from the airport to the Museumplein area.

Please understand that we don’t ask questions on this forum because we’re nosy. We ask questions to get a better picture and thus to be able to help you better. The more details you provide, the more detailed information you will receive back.

Posted by
10 posts

Hello Dutch_Traveler,
I am truly grateful for the inputs provided by everyone and never thought anyone was being nosy :). I have decided to do just 2 things - Keukenhof and a canal cruise. I have booked a canal cruise (Captain Jack's) which starts at 7 pm from near Amsterdam Centraal station, for which I want to arrive at 6:30 pm.
As for Keukenhof, I would like to spend 3 hours at the garden and fit the whole trip between 10:30 am (the time I land) and 6:30 pm (time to be at Amsterdam Centraal for the cruise). If I buy a combiticket then I can take the 858 Keukenhof express bus from the airport. This route runs several buses every hour, and I am hoping I can take the bus at 12:30 or 1 pm, to be at Keukenhof by 2 pm. I will then have to take a taxi to Amsterdam Centraal for the cruise.

Thanks,
Thomas

Posted by
1306 posts

I’m sorry but I don’t understand. You say you want to visit The Keukenhof first and want to take the bus there from Schiphol. So why do you want to know whether or not you can make it to Amsterdam central train station by 1:30 PM?

If your flight is on time and passport control goes smoothly you may be able to catch the 11:30 am bus to The Keukenhof or the 12:00 one.
This is assuming that you won’t be bringing large pieces of luggage that you’ll need to store somewhere. I agree with Paul who suggested you to travel light. I would travel super light and would only take your toothbrush, a partial change of clothes and use the toiletries supplied by the hotel.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you Dutch_traveler. Sorry for the confusion I caused. Earlier I was trying to decide if I should go to Amsterdam Centraal and do one of the private bus tours to Keukenhof that would bring be back to Centraal Station for the canal cruise, instead of the 858 Keukenhof express plus garden ticket from Schiphol. In the case of the latter I would have to arrange for my travel from the gardens to Centraal Station.
I have now booked the Combiticket for 1 pm from Schiphol. I think they will let me take the noon or 12:30 pm bus if I get there early enough. I have also booked a hotel that's walking distance from the airport, so I can leave my stuff with them. For the trip from Keukenhof to Centraal Station, I can come back to Schiphol and take the train OR take a taxi from Keukenhof.

Thanks,
Thomas