Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Amsterdam

Hello fellow travelers!
I wanted to get your opinion on what area to stay in, in Amsterdam. We are going there in May for one week. We prefer to do AirnB as it is cheaper than hotel (but if recommend some hotels, please feel free to share :)) We are looking for a location that is in the middle of or very close to the action/activities. We enjoy visiting pubs and seeing the tourist sites. Thank you in advance!

Posted by
11136 posts

We found the charming and historic Central Canal Ring area to be perfect for what you want. We loved staying at Hotel L’Ambassade.

Posted by
888 posts

We're staying at the Kimpton de Witt very close to the central station. First stay there but the reviews look good and it's a convenient location. Good luck finding anything this close to May. We had trouble and we started looking last summer.

Posted by
17 posts

Well, I can't help with Air BnB, but as for hotels, I have a place I stayed in October that I intend to use on future visits. The Conscious Hotel Museum Square is right next to the concert hall, across the park from the Rijksmuseum. Friendly, helpful desk staff (they helped me figure out where to buy a post-card stamp), and you can take an express bus between the airport and a stop a block away from the hotel. The room was comfortable if a bit subject to minor street noise (I was on the street side of the hotel, probably quieter on the opposite side). It has a small yard/patio and a "happy hour" during which you can sip a drink, enjoy a snack and chat with other guests. On a nice sunny day, the yard was a great way to relax in the open air at the happy hour.

PS, this was the scene of one of my minor travel embarrassments. I misread a sign saying the hotel was approved by a "green card" sustainability program as meaning that I needed a card to get in, and rang the bell without even trying the door. I laughingly blamed it on the jet lag, and the desk clerk laughed with me and agreed that must be it.

Posted by
904 posts

The Hotel Clemens, right in the middle of the “action/activities”. Stayed the last April; clean, good breakfast, very helpful staff near many of the sites.

Posted by
332 posts

We stayed at Wiechmann Hotel, which is in the RS guidebook (a coincidence). We splurged for the top floor with a great view of the canal. The breakfast was wonderful, staff very friendly, and the location was perfect. We walked to the Anne Frank House, The Van Gogh Museum, the Rijksmuseum..pretty much everywhere.
https://www.hotelwiechmann.nl/en/

Posted by
9 posts

has anyone stayed at any of the Marriott chain hotels in Amsterdam?
Do you have a great hotel recommendation, in a great location to accommodate 2 adults, 2 children?