Please sign in to post.

Traveling with kids

Hello ...
I am a mom traveling with two boys 12 and 15 we are traveling from 4th of July to 9th of July this is our first visit to Netherland and I would love to make it so special for my boys. So I am only interested of places for them only.

The flight tickets consumed most of our budget since we are traveling from faraway and there is no direct flights.

I am so overwhelmed with all information out there in the internet. I need to find a good place to stay in. I was happy when I found "Bed and Breakfast Miljonairstyle" then I read the advice that was written on this forum when the owner of the B&B refers customer to another one in "Billie Holidaystraat 45" and worned us from falling into this scam. So poor me is starting from scratch again.
My hotel budget is 90-120 euro/night. Is there away I can find something family friendly, decent and safe?

I am also looking for best attraction to visit in these 6 days 5 nights. I highly appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you all

Posted by
1226 posts

Al_helu, you may get more responses if you post under the Netherlands section, rather than Netherlands Reviews

For lodging, have you checked airbnb or booking.com? At this late date, you will have award time finding a place to stay at that rate in Amsterdam, but an alternative is to stay outside of Amsterdam and train in. Some like to stay in Harlaam. Some stay just north of the city and train in.

My kids like the major museums; van Gogh and Rijks. They also like the Olde Church in the Attic and we went to the Dutch Resistance museum instead of Anne Frank and they liked it too. the NEMO museum is a kids science museum which is probably a little young for your boys, but the rooftop is accessible without paying for the museum, and the rooftop is quite interesting and has a view of the harbor and some of the city (and has a cafe inside). Riding bikes around Vondelpark is fun. Just walking the streets and canals could fill at least a ½ day. Zandvoort beach is reachable by train
There's some ideas...

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you Jessica. I will follow your advice and move the post.

al_helu

Posted by
3816 posts

They might like Madurodam which is a a park with attractions and the city in miniature. Their website is madurodam.nl. It is 45 minutes from amsterdam. We went by bus years ago, but if you click on get directions at the bottom of the all attractions page, it gives you options.

Posted by
17 posts

Great Barbra I will do add it to the list. Thank you so much :)
What tickets do you recommend ? They offer Day ticket week or weekend, Day ticket family week or weekend and Combi ticket Sea Life. Do we need more than one day to explore the park? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

al_helu

Posted by
65 posts

We visited last September and I think your children would enjoy the attractions mentioned above. We got a 3 day Amsterdam travel ticket that allowed us to ride all over the city with no hassel. We purchased this at a small office across the street from the central train station then walked out front hopped on a tram to our first destination. We also purchased the Amsterdam City pass when visiting so we could see all of the sites without having to purchase individual tickets. We purchased this at the first museum we visited. good luck and have fun

Posted by
17 posts

Hello Erin,

Thanks for the tips. But don't the Amsterdam city pass will give you free access to all transportation including the train from airport?

Thanks