Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Amsterdam

I need recommendations on hotels in Amsterdam. I will be traveling with my parents (in their 70s but active), my sister and my daughter (in her 20s) in early April. We need a hotel for 1 night in Amsterdam as we will be boarding a river cruise the next day. We will need 2 rooms one for my parents and a family room that can accommodate 3. After a long flight it is important that it be comfortable for my parents. My dad would do better with something roomier with more of an American feel. I have no idea the best location. We hope to go to the Corry Tin Boom house in Harlem the day we arrive and then on to Van Gough museum that evening. Next day, Anne Frank house before boarding boat. Thanks!

Posted by
544 posts

The last time I was in Amsterdam I stayed in http://www.hotelhoksbergen.nl. The location was great, but the stairs are steep like a ladder on a ship if that makes sense. Also the bathroom was extremely compact. They had a nice (simple) breakfast and the people that worked there were extremely friendly and helpful.

In 2011 I stayed in Hotel Alexander http://www.hotelalexander.nl on a RS tour. It's another quieter neighborhood and the rooms were more spacious than at Hotel Hoksbergen. Hotel Alexander also has steeper stairs, I'm guessing this is a theme in Amsterdam, but they offer help to carry bags up and down for you, which could help.

Another idea would be to stay in Haarlem instead. I'm guessing that it would be even more quiet at night and might have better prices than in central Amsterdam.

Posted by
711 posts

The Hotel Fita is nice, well located, and has a good breakfast. It also has an elevator. On their website you can see the different sized rooms.

Posted by
2 posts

We stayed at the Golden Tulip in Amsterdam in October before departing on a river cruise, and found it to be a great location, easy walk to public transportation, and the most amazing breakfast buffet we've ever seen! Staff was friendly and helpful. Loved Amsterdam!

Posted by
6504 posts

You might want to post this on the "Netherlands" forum to get more replies. This forum is used mainly for reviews of places people have stayed or eaten at. But perusing the posts here might give you some additional ideas about places that could work for your family.

We liked the Best Western Leidse Square, near the Van Gogh Museum, Leidsepleine, one of the visitor info centers, and good transit stops. It had elevators and our room was reasonably large for Europe. There were a few steps along the hallway and at the front door. It's part of a familiar chain but without the same "feel" as the Best Westerns I've stayed at in the US -- but of course it's not a car-oriented roadside place either. Check it out on the BW website I think they have family rooms as well as doubles.

Posted by
106 posts

We thought The Pulitzer in Amsterdam fantastic. Near Anne Franks. Very well run and managed hotel.

Posted by
9100 posts

While the Pulitzer is no doubt a fantastic hotel. It's is also the most expensive in city. This is where the rich and famous stay when they are in town;)

Posted by
106 posts

Actually it was moderately priced thru my travel agent when we were there in early june last year. We certainly compared rates beforehand and were pleasantly surprised. But , yes, without a deal of some sort it is pricey.

Posted by
166 posts

I have stayed at the Rho Hotel adjacent to DAM Square twice now, and love it. Great location, good breakfast buffet included, large rooms and most importantly for your parents, an elevator

http://www.rhohotel.com/

Have a great time

Posted by
798 posts

The river cruise ships dock near the Central train station at three different locations depending on how hoe many of them are in port at the time. The primary locations are the Ruijterkade and the Veemkade. The overflow location is the Javakade across the channel from the Veemkade. The Hotel Movenpick Amsterdam City Central is Ideally located to all three docking areas and would be an easy walk to any of them. When we did our river cruise we stayed at the Ibis near the train station about half a mile away. The Anne Frank House is a bit of a walk but we did it on our 70s. The nice thing about walking in Amsterdam is that it's flat, there is no such ting as uphill. If you go to Google maps you can check out the locatiions and the satellite images even shown some of the river cruiser at the docks. Have fun.