Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam Restaurants?

Please advise

$$$
$$
$

Traveling with two adults and two young adult children (18 & 23)

Thanks

Posted by
7449 posts

I always struggle in Amsterdam regarding food. I certainly do like the street food (Herring, Frites, etc.) but iconic Dutch food comes up as sort of a mystery. For cheap, I would eat a meal at a Pancake house, closer to a french crepe or galette, both sweet and savory. I would also do an evening meal having a traditional Indonesian Rijsttafel or rice table.

Posted by
1224 posts

Puri Mas for Rijstafel
Burgermeister because its yummy
Foodhallen because its a fun scene and has many options for a group
Bakers and Roasters because its a genial and yummy breakfast spot
Pancake House Upstairs or Pancake House Negen Straatjes (nine streets) for the experience

I think AMS has a great food scene and I find it easy to to eat yummy food all the time. Its just a matter of picking what you want to eat. Use Yelp, or just google reviews. As for traditional Dutch food, meh, I mean, yes, the pancakes are novel and thus worthwhile, and herring, I guess, but I wouldn't worry about missing whatever one considers traditional Dutch food (and my family is Dutch, so I diss as a member ;p ). AMS is a thriving international hub, so you can get really great food of all kinds. The best Gelato we've had in Europe was in AMS from a guy from Rome. Sadly, he closed...

Posted by
3985 posts

Please advise

$$$ $$ $

Traveling with two adults and two young adult children (18 & 23)

Thanks

This is a big ask. You can do this research yourself using travel guides including RS, Fodors, Michelin, etc and then ask follow-up questions.

Posted by
330 posts

We loved Rakang Thai Restaurant on Elandsgracht, close to Prinsengracht. It's small, busy, and VERY good. It was $$.

Posted by
77 posts

The Food Hallen is a great option traveling with adult children. It's similar to a Mall Food Court with lots of options and we found the food really good!

Our fav restaurant is FuLu Mandarin. Amazing, but you need a reservation. Not a cheap option but big portions and very flavorful!

Posted by
44 posts

Hi everyone,

We struggled with food options in Amsterdam. My son is allergic to peanuts so the Indonesian food was out of the question. We were also thoroughly jet-lagged during this part of our trip so at times we were just struggling to get through our tours. Our hotel had a fabulous breakfast and I highly recommend this new boutique hotel called Hotel Mercier close to the Nine Streets.

My fondest memory of dutch cuisine was the POFFERTJES in the city of Marken. I think you can find them anywhere. They are mini pancakes with butter and powdered sugar. Little bites of heaven.

We also became addicted to Stroopwafels with coffee. Perfect in the later afternoon just when the jet is at its height. The black licorice was my favorite as well.

We did have an amazing Dutch Meal at Martine's. If you can get in they were most gracious hosts. We booked this on the app Eat With. We were unfortunately extremely tired from our 40 K bike ride that day and were probably not the best house guests. We were all about to fall asleep at the table but we hung in there. Again, our jet lag was terrible. (Long story with missed flights due to delays, etc...)

Posted by
13 posts

Another vote for Puri Mas for Indonesian food. Great service and the food is excellent. Plus, it's a few blocks from the main museums so it makes for an easy stop afterwards.