Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam Hotels

We need hotel recommendations for Amsterdam. Never been there. West and Southwest neighborhoods look like they'll fit our needs for walking and sightseeing, but we are open to other options.
Like to keep it under $150.

Posted by
7 posts

Check out airbnb.com. Select entire home and ur price range. I would search for somewhere in the Jordaan (u can search Amsterdam Jordaan). Best neighborhood in AMS. You'll get a whole place instead of a very small hotel room.

Posted by
67 posts

Thank you all for all your very helpful information. If I were a bit more adventurous, I'd do a B&B - have done several of them in the states: "If you do use AirBnb then ensure the accommodation is listed with the Dutch/city authorities." One of my concerns. Foolish? Probably.
I like the idea of a hotel in city center. We're only looking for 2 additional nights - we will be going on a Uni-World cruise, which provides two nights at a hotel of their choosing. 4 days total in Amsterdam.
Any more central hotels in a mid price range would be good. Rho Hotel sounds like a good choice.

We were in Vienna earlier this year, stayed at Rick Steves recommended Kugel Hotel - very disappointed. Anyone know if Hotel Brouwer in Amsterdam is similar to Kugel?

Posted by
2 posts

We stayed at Hotel Keizershof in the canal district on Keizersgracht in April 2013. It is a family-owned B&B not far from a tram stop. We walked or took the tram everywhere during our 3-day stay. The owners are fabulous and breakfast was varied and filling. The building is a canal house, so steep spiral stairs up to the rooms and no elevator. The restroom situation varies by room, so you'll want to inquire about that withthe owners. The website has some pictures and rates - www.hotelkeizershof.nl/.

Have a wonderful trip! Amsterdam is an incredible city!

Posted by
333 posts

I love Amsterdam! You didn't say how many were in your party...

I will tell you that last time I was in Amsterdam I stayed on a houseboat in the Jordaan area and just loved it! Because I was on a budget, I basically rented a studio "room", one room with a kitchenette, a small TV, and a sofa that folded out into a very comfy bed! We had a big corner window onto the canal and just loved watching the swans and ducks and boats going by. It was very safe and I kept the windows open all night long so I could fall asleep and wake up to the lovely view. The boat also had a very nice bathroom with a shower. It was close to transportation, there was a mini grocery store just around the corner and a giant great heron that sat atop a car at the end of the block, the entire time I was there. I named him Billy Bob. The boat was in walking distance of everything- about a 10 minute walk to the Anne Frank house- just follow the steeple of the grote kirk! I loved it there so much I'm staying again when I go at the end of April next spring. If you'd like more information and a link to look at pictures, just PM me!

Lisa

Posted by
67 posts

There are two of us - husband and myself. 68 & 69 years, in pretty good shape; walking up 60 & more stairs, with luggage, would be a challenge.

Houseboat: two people - Comfortable?

Truthfully, I think we're looking for nice, comfortable hotel, with elevator, with Amsterdam charm! At a moderate rate-$150 & under.
Southwest neighborhood appears to be good area for our needs.

Hotel Fita, Hotel Filosoof, Hotel Alexander - opinions, please.

Is southwest much better than west for getting around museums and places to see?
I love this forum for all your good suggestions - and your patience! Thanks again.

Posted by
464 posts

We really enjoyed staying at the Dikker en Thijs Fenice Hotel in Amsterdam on the Prinsengracht Canal. Ask for an upper floor room with a balcony overlooking the canal. It has a breakfast room on the lower level and is near a tram stop. It is within walking distance of the Anne Frank house, the Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum, Lovers Canal boat rides, and the Flower market on Singel. You can look this hotel up on www. tripadvisor.com

Posted by
67 posts

Sharon, thank you for the Dikker en Thijs recommendation. Pricier than we originally wanted, but fits our location needs. We did book it. Other choices were Hampton Inn, too close to train station, and NH Amsterdam Museum Quarter. Any one stay at either of those?

I also need advice for hotels in Bruges and Brussels.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by
731 posts

<<>>

We are staying at Hotel Brouwer for 2 nights before our RS 21 day tour starts....but that isn't until this coming April. When are you going? I'll be happy to report my findings when I return! I loved the idea of it being on a canal and the fact that it is very old. I think many of the places in Amsterdam will have many stairs, though....

Posted by
711 posts

The Hotel Fita is very nice. Also the Wiechmann has I think the best location .The hotel Fita has an elevator.... the Wiechmann does not..both have nice breakfasts. I think hotels get pricier during tulip season and much harder to get.

Posted by
552 posts

Joy...just curious, why were you disappointed in Kugel Hotel in Vienna?

Posted by
67 posts

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Kugel, this past May. We had booked two separate stays, before and after going to Budapest. Entering the hotel, it was quaint and attractive, with a pleasant host at the front desk. Once we went upstairs our disappointment began. It was thread bare and unkempt. The stairs were worn, with cleaning equipment, including a vacuum cleaner, stored on the stairs and hallways. Our room wasn’t any better. It had a feeling of not being cleaned for a long time. Linens were limited and worn. We could not get hot water, no matter how long we waited. Trash can was full, the mini bar had half empty bottles. Wow! When we returned for our second stay, it didn’t get much better. They gave us a room located down a long and dreary hallway, stuck in a corner. As a return visitor! The breakfast room was quite comfortable, with a very pleasant hostess and decent food. We realize our error was in not saying anything to the management. Lesson learned. Did we expect too much?
Joy

Posted by
67 posts

Kathy, we will also be in Amsterdam in April, before a river boat cruise. I read the Hotel Brouwer doesn't take credit cards, is that still true? I look forward to hearing your opinion of the Hotel Brouwer, for future travel. Jane, good and helpful information on the Hotel Fita. Thank you both.
Joy

Posted by
1 posts

Hello

I am travelling to Amsterdam on my own for 4 nights from 24 April. Feeling abit uneasy of where to stay, that is an easy walk to places of interest and restaurants.
Is the central area the historic area?

And are there walking tours to book on, so I am not on my own all the time.

Regards

Amanda from Sydney Australia

Posted by
731 posts

Hotel Brouwer was a lovely hotel! They did NOT take credit cards and require cash payment upon check out....we chose to pay when we checked in as I like getting it taken care of (so I don't spend the cash, lol).

Our room was a higher floor, corner room on the front of the hotel and overlooked the Singel. I had requested this room when we conversed via email. Their communication was always quick. Our room was spacious with a huge bathroom and large tub as well as a shower (located separately)....double sink, too. The lift fit the two of us without luggage but we usually took the windy steps to our floor. The breakfast room was very quaint with nice china. Breakfast and french pressed coffee was brought to us at our table.

I would definitely stay here again!

Posted by
67 posts

Sharon;
Thank you very much for the recommendation of Dikker & Thijs Hotel in Amsterdam. Love, love, loved it. Very comfortable. Quaint yet modern. Elevator (important to me). Staff - most accommodating. Room, with balcony, was quite comfortable. Bathroom modern and fully equipped. Had breakfast in the lower level dining room. Very nice - great selection and service. Stored our luggage after we checked out. Location perfect for all we wanted to see and do.

If you're in that area on your return visit, try to get to Vondelpark, near Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum. Largest city park in Amsterdam. Comparable to Central Park in New York. Worth visiting. Also, the Van Loon and Teylers Museums.

Thank you again for the Dikker & Thijs Hotel info.
Look forward to hearing about your next Amsterdam trip!
Joy

Posted by
6 posts

We have two nights early December in AMS and plan to stay at a central hotel (price range $200-300USD.) The only item on my must-see list is the museums and do not mind walking though the weather may curtail treks. Question: the dam area, museum district, or another? Your opinions will help me narrow my options.

Any thoughts on eating options not-to-be missed? We do not require five course meals and are not looking for THAT kind of coffee house, lol.

Posted by
1 posts

I have had good experiences at the Eden Hotel near Rembrandt Square. Using Orbitz I have secured rooms for under $100 a number or times. Tram stop is nearby. Buy day passes across from Central Station.