Please sign in to post.

Zermatt to Milan Travel - Sep 29, 2024

I'm looking for early morning travel options between Zermatt and Milan.
There seem to be two routes available.
Zermatt-Visp-Milan
Zermatt-Brig-Domodossola-Milan

I prefer the first one, however, strangely enough I don't see any direct trains between Visp-Milan on September 29, Sunday.
There are regular trains on September 22, Sunday a week before my date, on October 6, Sunday, a week after my date and on September 30, a day after my date.
Why is that? Is there any planned maintenance/event on this route which might result into trains not running on that day?
Or is the schedule not released for this day yet?
I checked Omio, Trenitalia and Italiarail for my route and date but no luck so far.
Also, is there a better way to travel from Zermatt to Milan? I need to reach Milan early so that I can take a fast train to Naples the same day and reach there by 8pm.

Posted by
21028 posts

It is just the vagaries of scheduling that you picked a Sunday that the EC train only goes as far as Domodossola and does not stop at Visp, but only Brig. Your best itinerary seems to be to take the 7:37 train to Visp, connect to Brig, connect to Domodosola, connect to Milano Centrale, connect to Napoli Centrale.

That will get you to Napoli Centrale by 5:33 pm on the direct train from Milano Centrale.

Schedules at www.sbb.ch/en

Posted by
38 posts

oh, thank you! and why does my Sunday get a special treatment?
Anymore day/region specific anomalies that I should know about?
I've booked Switzerland and Italy travel between September 21 and October 12.