Please sign in to post.

Yet Another Train Question

I finally thought I grasped Trenitalia's website, but this has me confused. I'm trying to book our train tickets from Venice to Naples (one-way). Because of the longer journey, my husband and I were leaning towards purchasing the 1st class tickets. When I our preferred train, the next screens shows the price options – including a Mini Fare. Once I change our options to "2" people and "1st class", the Mini Fare disappears. However, if I keep the number of passengers to "1", the Mini-fare shows. Also. if I change it to "2nd class", I am able to obtain a mini-fare rate for 2 adults. There is another reduced rate option stating: Promo andata e ritorno in giornata. But from my brief research, it looks like that is for a round trip fare. Am I doing something wrong here or does the mini-fare only work for one person at a time for 1st class? If so, does it make a difference if I purchase our tickets separately at the Mini rate?

Posted by
9100 posts

A possible explanation is that there is only one mini-fare left in first class...it's capacity controlled. Do you get the same results with other departures the same day?

Posted by
30 posts

Well, that certainly makes sense! I just checked and you are probably correct since it does allow two people to purchase mini fares for 1st class on other schedules. Considering this is for July 1, it didn't even occur to me that it could be restricted. Do they typically add more mini-fare options as it gets closer or is it best to hop on it now? Thanks.

Posted by
16254 posts

What Michael said. Most likely there is only one seat left at the mini fare in First Class. If you bought that and then another one separately, there is no guarantee they will be together. Sine the 1st class cars have single seats on one side of the aisle, most likely you woul deach get one of those. If you want to sit together, your options are 2 seats in 1st class at full fare, or the 2 in 2d class at mini fare.

Posted by
30 posts

I see - so just to clarify, there's not another way to purchase the two tickets at the same time with one as mini-fare and one as a base-fare and be seated together?

Posted by
16254 posts

Actually, I don't know. If you purchased in two separate transactions, there is no guarantee the seats will be together. But maybe there is a way to purchase one at each fare level in the same transaction? Like put one in the shoopping cart (if there is such a thing on that website) and then put in the other before entering payment details. See if that is possible.

Posted by
30 posts

Thanks, it seems like the site is being a bit finicky right now - I keep getting error messages. Once it starts working again, we'll probably proceed with booking them together at two second class rateto avoid the a higher fare In regards to the mandatory seat assignment, if I select "Window" for the reservation, will it automatically sit my husband and I next to eachother?

Posted by
2207 posts

Morgan, the Trenitalia "computer ticketing" will seat you as close together as it can if you buy two tickets, denoting one as a window. For more specific seating options on the fast trains, head to the Le Frecce section of the Trenitalia site. Here, you can select SPECIFIC seats and also see what seating there is available. You can also get better views on pricing options. This link is only good for the fastest (and thus more expensive) trains in the system. For a tutorial-like explanation of this section of their website, head to the bottom portion of this post: Booking on the Trenitalia Website

Posted by
4407 posts

"Do they typically add more mini-fare options as it gets closer or is it best to hop on it now?" Once they're gone...they're gone. I was really hoping Ron in Rome would show up ;-)

Posted by
405 posts

You CAN purchase one ticket for one person at one price (for example MINI price), then another ticket for another person at a different price level (or same price if available) in the same transaction. First, choose a ticket for one person only and click on the type of ticket you want (click the little circle on the right hand side); then you will see a question directly underneath asking "Do you want to add other passengers...?" This question doesn't appear until after clicking on the type of ticket you want for the first person.