Please sign in to post.

Winter in Rome

It’s been 10 years since I’ve been to Rome and my husband has never set foot in Europe. We’re going the last week of February. If I remember correctly it’s warm enough to lose a layer or two in the afternoon.

Does anyone have any advice or tips for enjoying the city in this weather? Favorite bar for a hot toddy? Average price for coatcheck at sights like Vatican (we won’t be going for Ash Wednesday), museums, etc? Cozy spots for romance? Favorite tasting menus?

Can’t wait to get the new edition of the guidebook! Thanks in advance for your tips!

Posted by
7811 posts

It is perfect weather for a walking to all the sites.
I don't think they check coats in the Vatican Museum just bags.
I was last there in January 2017 it was mild enough light jacket

Posted by
36 posts

Previous winter experience in Rome was not that cold. Dress in layers, but was perfectly comfortable outside without needing to stop and warm up inside.

Posted by
3822 posts

We went the third week one year in February. The weather was beautiful, crisp clear air. The Vatican was still crowded but most other sights weren’t. We didn’t make any restaurant reservations and had no trouble finding a table for 6. Trevi Fountain must always be crowded cause it was packed. Definitely wear layers. It was chilly, not too bad for us northerners, but our Florida cousins felt the cold.

Posted by
15576 posts

Been to Rome 3 times in the past few years, all in February. I've never had a day when I wished I had sandals with me, but many times I've left my room without a coat. I've also had snow (it was glorious). I don't remember ever paying to check my backpack. I usually wear a fleece jacket, so if there's no coat check, I can stuff it inside the backpack. In some places, they have wooden lockers that you need a €1 coin to lock. You get the coin back when you unlock the door.

I don't know about hot toddies, but there's hot coffee everywhere and it's not hard to find thick hot chocolate. Gelato is everywhere as well, though some gelaterias close for repairs/renovations in February. Instead of a tasting menu, take a food walking tour. I took the one booked through The Roman Guy (they have an RS discount) that began in Campo de' Fiori and went through Trastevere, ending back across the Tiber with gelato. Everyone was full before dessert.

Posted by
1 posts

I have been going to Rome alone every January for the last 4 years. I've never gone in the summer because I'm trying to avoid crowds and hot weather. I noticed last year that it was starting to get a little crowded even in January. Anyway, yes--the weather is fine--about like late October here in Chicago. It may rain a day or two, just be prepared with a little travel umbrella. Every time I go I discover something new. Until last year, I was pretty much going back to my hotel room after dinner. Then I discovered the Pantheon area at night. The Pantheon itself is breathtaking at night--much more so than the daytime because of the way it is lit. There are some little shops around there and its close to all of the action on Via Del Corso. My favorite place in the Pantheon area at night is this incredible Lindt Chocolate shop. It even has a little bar. If your friends at home are like mine, they will really like the "spiked" Lindt chocolate bars--Contreau seems to be everyone's favorite (they are only available in Switzerland and Italy). It's a relatively inexpensive souvenir (and I'm pretty sure the only reason my friends can't wait for me to get home) :). Have fun and don't give the weather a second thought--you can do everything in Rome in the winter that you can do in the summer--without the lines and scorching heat (another nice thing is that hotels are usually less expensive in the winter)

Posted by
6 posts

This is all excellent advice! We scored a STEAL of an airBnB overlooking Largo D'Argentina and have no plans thus far to leave the city. I can't wait to show my husband all the wonders of my favorite city. <3

Posted by
11133 posts

Buy Elizabeth MInchelli's EAT ROME app, $4.99, a great guide for restaurants.