Please sign in to post.

winter in Italy

TRavelling for 17 days in Italy in January 2008. Have seen RIck's suggested itinerary but wondering are there any places particularly suitable for winter and places best avoided. We are a family of 4 adults and are beginning with 3 days in Venice and ending with 3 in Rome. Any suggestions?

Posted by
3595 posts

Hi Kay,
Our first trip to Italy was in December and January (1984/5). The weather was extremely(!) variable. We went from some shirt-sleeve days in Rome to snow in Venice. Be prepared with layers, gloves, and, hats or scarves. When the weather is fine do any outdoor things because you won't know what the next day will bring. That year, the gondoliers were shut down. Other than that, everything we wanted to see was open. There are, of course, fewer tourists, so it's easier to get into places; but don't imagine you'll be alone. I would still make reservations for the most popular ones.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks Rosalyn for your tips. Any suggestions on where to stay in Tuscany area for a few days?

Posted by
705 posts

I was in Rome 3 weeks ago and the weather was awful. Five to thirteen degrees with rain, hail and wind! I have never been so cold. It was somewhat unseasonal for Autumn but gave me a taste of what their winter is like. Having said that I wouldn't not go to Rome - way too good to miss. Just take lots of layers and some waterproof things. I did thermals, shirt, jumper and coat with scarf and gloves. Our winters are much milder. If you don't have good gloves you can get some fabulous ones over there. They have beautiful leather ones with cashmere lining in every colour imaginable. I got mine in Florence but I did see shops in Venice and Rome.

Posted by
25 posts

I spent three months in Italy last winter, and as a native of Arizona, I was cold! But, I loved every minute of it! I especially loved the festive atmosphere immediately following Christmas through Epiphany on January 6. I am not sure what time of January you will be in Rome, but if it is during Epiphany (between Christmas and January 6), you will want to avoid the historic center, especially near Piazza Navona, in the evenings. There is a touristy Christmas market that draws a lot of traffic. I didn't go not only because of the traffic, but also because I was told that it was mostly people peddaling junk.