Please sign in to post.

Winter in Italy

My husband and I are looking for a place to spend Jan,Feb,and March. I was wondering what the winters were like temperature wise in southern Italy and Sicily?

Posted by
15144 posts

Sicily will have California weather. Not cold, but possibly rainy.
In the interior and at higher altitudes, it's colder.

Posted by
32707 posts

If you are counting on the Schengen visa waiver program it is worth noting that January through March 2014 is exactly 90 days so be careful about overstaying.

Posted by
32198 posts

robin, As I recall, there has been snow even in Sicily and Calabria in the past, but overall the weather should be as Roberto described. The RS Sicily tours now start at the beginning of February, so I'm sure they wouldn't have planned those if the weather was going to be inclement. You could also consider southern Spain or the Algarve region of Portugal. I frequently see advertisements for long stay apartment rentals in the Algarve during the winter. Happy travels!

Posted by
791 posts

We spent two weeks between Tropea and Catania over the new year holiday two years ago. A bit rainy and slightly chilly on some days but overall pretty nice weather. A thicker long sleeve shirt shirt or light jacket kept me comfortable.