Please sign in to post.

Wineries to Visit in Tuscany

Hi there! Does anyone have any recommendations for wineries to visit in Tuscany? I know there are many! I am looking for something unique and out of the ordinary. We will be staying in Montepulciano last week in May and we have a car so transportation isn't a problem!

Posted by
194 posts

Two interesting ones right in town are Contucci and De'Ricci. They both have really cool caves carved into the hill, so it's worth it just to walk through them to see that. The wine at both was OK, but for my money, Contucci's Rosso at 9 euro per bottle is a pretty darn good value for an everyday drinker [edit: by which I mean a wine you can drink everyday without breaking the budget].

For an over-the-top experience and tour, check out Avignonesi. It's about 30 minutes northeast of Montepulciano, on the way to Cortona. The big draw here is the wine-paired lunch, which ends with a show-stopper dessert plate paired with their famous (and expensive!) Vin Santo. Not cheap, but it was one of the highlights of the trip for my wife.

Another idea is to check with the experts at E Lucevan le Stelle - Wine Bar at the top of the hill in Montepulciano. They not only have a huge selection of wines from the area that you can sample, they can probably also point you to some specific wineries once they know exactly the kind of experience you're looking for.

You really can't go wrong, so many amazing places to see in that area!

Posted by
4105 posts

Near Montepulciano. Avignonesi, Food is to die for.

Salcheto.

Montalcino. Bondi Santi.

Castelnuovo Berardenga. Castello Brolio.

Radda. Castello Volpaia.

Castellina in Chianti. Castello di Fonterutoli.

Greve in Chianti. Castello di Vignamaggio. Or Castello Verrazano.

It's best to make a reservation, they all have tastings, some with snacks, the lunch with paired tastings are available at several and are fabulous.