Please sign in to post.

Wineries to Visit in Central Italy?

My family and I are planning a trip from Rome to Florence and ending in Venice. Are there any wineries along the way that anyone could recommend, or better yet wineries situated close to (or in) Florence?

Posted by
2109 posts

How are you traveling from Rome to Florence? If you are planning to drive, which would be a great way to do it, you could stop at Castello di Verrazzano for lunch. It's a few kilometers North of Greve, which is 18 or so kilometers south of Florence. They offer a tour of the winery. If you have the time, I highly recommend their Food and Wine Experience. Be sure to schedule at least 3 hours though. You won't have to worry about dinner that night, they are very generous!

When we were there in December 2015, the owner and the wine makers were tasting the latest vintage. The owner kept coming over to our table with unmarked bottles, giving us a little pour and asking our opinion! Luckily we were staying on the property!

Posted by
906 posts

Not near Florence, but then nothing is very far away from Florence. I like the Sagrantino wine trail in Umbria. Try Arnaldo Caprai winery in Montefalco, a great little town and nice place to stay.

Posted by
2 posts

Hi Doug, not sure if we are driving or taking the train. Do you think it would be feasible to rent a car for the day once we are in Florence and just make it a day trip?

Posted by
2109 posts

Hi Doug, not sure if we are driving or taking the train. Do you think it would be feasible to rent a car for the day once we are in Florence and just make it a day trip?

It would be easier to just sign up for a winery tour of the Tuscan countryside. Renting and returning a car would chew up a lot of time you could be spending drinking wine. The other advantage of a tour is not having to assign a designated driver. Everyone can take full advantage of the tasting offerings!