Please sign in to post.

Wine

Is this true?
A glass of wine is only 100ml.

Posted by
381 posts

I typically get about 5 glasses out of a bottle of wine. Which comes to ~150 ml per glass

Posted by
2123 posts

When my wife and I share a 750ml bottle of wine, we have two glasses each. That's just shy of 200ml/glass.

Posted by
155 posts

Depends on where you are. In Alberta & Canada, typically the amount is shown on the drink menu, and generally options of 6 or 9 ounces shown but sometimes it could be 5 ounces. A standard bottle has 26 oz or approx 750 ml
100 ml would be a very small glass approx 3.4 oz. 5 oz is 145 ml.

Posted by
5292 posts

Are you asking if a glass of wine served throughout Italy is 100ml?

Posted by
2123 posts

I don't recall a pour being that small, but normally we were sharing a bottle.

Posted by
3051 posts

In most places that I have been in Europe, wine is served as a measured amount. This should be what is done in the US. As some have noted, a bottle is 750 ml, and dividing by 4, you get 187 ml/glass. I have seen 100, 200, 300 ml as glasses. Beer as well - measured amounts are sold. This should be done in the US. I have occasionally been amazed at what I get for a "glass" of wine in the US.

Posted by
273 posts

I’ve typically found wine to be very inexpensive per glass or bottle compared to Canadian prices. Makes me envious. Wine is getting to 12 bucks plus for a 6 ounce glass in Canada.

Posted by
15602 posts

Wine by the glass is often house wine, which can also be ordered as a 1/4 or 1/2 liter.

Posted by
6920 posts

100 ml is on the small side, 125 ml (5 glasses to a bottle) is more typical! At least that's the French norm, and I do not remember Italian wine glasses being noticeably smaller.

Posted by
7579 posts

From the information I have seen, there is no "standard" in Italy. In the US, it is usually a 5 oz (~150 ml) pour. In the UK, where things are more defined, there is a 125 ml pour, then a 175 ml pour, and multiples of those amounts.

In Italy, most places probably shoot for 125 ml, and usually you can get carafes of 250 ml and 500 ml, or as many do, the bottle of 750 ml.

The 100 ml information may be coming from health guidelines in the EU, I did see where they consider a "serving" to be 100 to 120 ml, which would be small. But they also look at grams of alcohol.

From a practical standpoint, I always found the serving to be generous, but often we get a bottle or a 500 ml carafe.

Posted by
347 posts

There is no standard in the US either, unless you see a specific amount on the menu, which then usually offers a small and large pour of specific amounts.

Please don't let the size of the pour influence your decision to travel to Italy. :-)

Posted by
85 posts

On our recent trip to Piemonte in Italy and Haute-Savoie in France, I'd say the average restaurant pour of wine if ordered by the glass was 4-5 ounces. But then again, rarely ordered just a glass ; )

Posted by
16392 posts

We have been in Italy for 5 nights now. Every glass of wine I have ordered has been 1 deciliter. It is marked on the glass and they pour that much. So yes, 100 ml. That is smaller than as “standard pour” in the US, which (depending on the place) is usually 5 glasses to a bottle, or 150 ml.