Please sign in to post.

Wi-Fi in Rome April 2012

There have been a number of posts on the board concerning Wi-Fi and Internet availability in Rome. (For example, here is a good rundown: http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm?topic=78958 Here is a report on my April visit to Rome when I found plenty of available Internet. Many cafes and restaurants were sporting "Free Wifi" decals in their windows. I stopped in a restaurant and was able to use their Wi-Fi after the waiter provided the requisite username and password. No one asked to see my passport. There is also a large Internet Point café with plenty of terminals in the old historic section of the city, at the corner of Corso Vittorio Emanuele II and Via dei Chiavari, at the Piazza Sant'Andrea della Valle. That's a couple of blocks south of the Piazza Navona. If you are using a terminal in Italy, note that the keyboards differ somewhat from the ones in the US. To get the @ sign required in email addresses, press the "Alt Gr" key just to the right of the spacebar, and then press the key that has the @ symbol (along with a couple of other symbols) above. To get rid of CAP LOCKS, press the LOCK key.
You can erase your browsing history by ing "Strument: and then "Elinina" from the menus along the top of the screen. If you are using mobile devices and have trouble with the pages of services such as Gmail and Yahoo, use the free service at mail2web.com. This is a clutter-free interface where you can enter your username and password to retrieve your email. Hope the above helps. This trip I left my laptop with its heavy transformer home, and instead carried a Blackberry Playbook. That tablet is about half the size and weight of an Ipad and fits handily in my jacket pocket.

Posted by
1324 posts

Phil, This is very useful information and I appreciate the time it took you to post. I will be looking for wi-fi in Rome and Paris and these tips are much appreciated.
Linda

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you for this report - it's very helpful. We plan to spend 10 days in Rome in June & had wondered if wifi were available.

Posted by
32835 posts

SLC, have you asked your hotel what their policy is?

Posted by
5 posts

@ Nigel. We're renting an apartment through Roman Reference - a service we've used before & liked a lot. Unfortunately, our "landlord" does not include internet/wifi so I have been researching the best way(s) to get access. Last time we were there (2009) we ended up regularly visiting an internet store which was OK but I don't like using public computers for banking, etc. So, we'd prefer to locate or have wifi access while there.