Please sign in to post.

Where to stay on Amalfi coast?

Looking at 3 nights on the Amalfi coast with husband and 2 kids ( aged 12 and 9)
Should we look at Sorrento or Salerno? We definitely want to go to Capri and may want to do Pompeii ( hubby and I have already been)
We will not have a car.. in case that plays into any recommendations

Thank you!

Posted by
11613 posts

Neither one of your choices is on the Amalfi Coast, but if you want easier access to Pompei, Ercolano, and Capri, Sorrento would work.

Salerno would work well if you want to see Paestum, but getting to other sights may take longer.

You can take the ferry and/or bus to visit the Amalfi Coast from either city.

Posted by
15863 posts

We definitely want to go to Capri and may want to do Pompeii

If these two are high on your list, I'd stay in Sorrento. As Zoe said, it's not the Amalfi Coast but right at the doorstep, and ferries to Capri will be quicker and more frequent from there. Pompeii will be 30 minutes or so by train.

You didn't mention what time of year you are planning your trip but while ferries run to Capri from Sorrento all year, they only run to locations around the A.C. during the warmer months. Same with ferries from Salerno.

Posted by
6 posts

We stayed in Priano. between amalfi and positano. great location. go see pasteum. your kids will love it. ravello is amazing too.

Posted by
1829 posts

I personally am not very enamored with Salerno so would definitely choose Sorrento
I prefer Positano over any town but logistically Sorrento is better additionally since it would be hard to find a place in town in Positano for your family, Sorrento a likely also a better fit for you in that regard

Posted by
2 posts

We visited Capri and Pompeii about five years ago and used Sorrento has our base. It worked out great.

A word of caution - if you travel through the Naples train station be extremely mindful of pickpockets. My father-in-law lost his wallet to a couple of very clever thieves when we were boarding the local train there.

Posted by
1172 posts

I really appreciate everyone's advice and have decided to book in Sorrento and do day trips from there.

Thank you again!