Please sign in to post.

where to stay night before leaving Italy through Marco Polo airport

We're planning to drive back toward Venice from Lake Como the day before we fly out of Marco Polo airport at 11 am. Should we stay in Padua (we have a one night stay 10 days prior) or at one of the hotels near the airport? We're inclined to drop the car at the airport and stay at a hotel near the airport. But which one? We also want to have dinner nearby or at the hotel if recommended.

Posted by
5687 posts

Where else will you have been on this itinerary? Obviously you could spend the last night in Venice itself and just get an early bus to the airport. 11am is early but not that early. Should easy to get there by 8am, even if you have to get up early in Venice. Drop the car at Mestre or even at Piazzale Roma the day before. Probably not worth doing unless you get to Venice early enough in the day, though, but Venice is really wonderful at night, when most of the day trippers are gone.

Posted by
173 posts

with an 11am fight I would stay in Venice...just get up early to head to the airport...around 7am

Posted by
898 posts

We took the bus from Padua to Marco Polo and it was actually quite easy and inexpensive. Lots of people use it. It’s an hour ride and drops you right at the gates. Our flight left at 12:00, we got an early bus and were there WELL ahead of check in. Padua is a nice place to spend your last night in Italy (make sure to the see the Scrovengi Chapel at all costs.)

I’m glad we did this. When I looked at staying there versus Venice, it actually takes just as long or longer to get to the airport from Venice. The ferry across the lagoon takes just as long and is not cheap. Train/bus through Maestre is also a hassle.

If you still have the car I would 100% stay in Padua.