Please sign in to post.

Where to stay near Venice

We are a group of 13, 11 adults and 2 very young children. We will be touring Venice on Sept. 1 and 2, 2023. Where do you
recommend staying overnight? We were told it is much cheaper staying on the mainland. We won't have a car.
Thanks!

Posted by
6244 posts

Stay on Venice proper.
Anywhere else is just not Venice and will mean more time/expense getting to/from Venice proper.

Somewhere near train station
Try Hotel Abbazia

Posted by
473 posts

Definitely stay in Venice. Check VRBO and Airbnb for apartments. Waking up Venice is amazing.

Posted by
7688 posts

The neighborhood near the main train station is the most affordable and you can walk from there to see the entire city.

Also, take the inexpensive bus from the airport to the Piazza just across the canal from the train station.

Posted by
2980 posts

I’ve been to Venice twice and both times I took a train to get there and stayed near the station. Make sure you take the train to end of line (Venezia Santa Lucia station) and turn left when leaving the station. I agree with the others, you want to sleep on the lagoon not in the city.

Posted by
6567 posts

I think the previous poster is referring to the neighborhood near the Venice train station (Santa Lucia), not the mainland station (Mestre). I agree with others that it's much better to stay in Venice itself rather than taking the train in and out each day. Besides the time it will take, the cost for 11 adults won't be trivial.

When you exit Santa Lucia Station, you'll be facing the Grand Canal. To your left is the Cannareggio neighborhood, to your right is a bridge crossing the canal into the Santa Croce neighborhood. Both have lots of hotels and either would be a good choice. Use booking.com to identify possible candidates. It has useful filters, and the reviews are from people who actually stayed in the hotel. But do actual booking on the hotel's own website so you don't have to go through a third party if there are any problems. Other posters will have useful recommendations, and some might have experience with specific hotels if you ask about them.

Posted by
48 posts

Hello :)

I agree with everyone else.
Stay in Venice on the lagoon.
You will pay a little bit more. But there are great deals if you search.
In 2017 We stayed near the "ospedale boat dock" directly across from San Michele island, for 85 euro per night. and would not hesitate staying there again.
We considered staying right on the Grand Canal for 300 euro per night. But decided that because we were only going to sleep there, we decided to save money sleeping in Venice near the ospedale boat dock and we splurged staying right on a cliff overlooking the sea in Sorrento.
You will pay a lot more the closer you get to the Grand Canal.
You wont need a car. You can't use a car. Mainly using your feet and/or boats.
Many, many tiny bridges with stairs to get you up and over all of the canals you will need to cross.
Part of the fun in Venice is getting lost in Venice (its not scary, it's fun). Just try not to have a appointment later in the day if you go "exploring". You will discover paths with great restaurants along the way.
Have fun!
:)

Posted by
48 posts

Hello again :)

I just reread your post.

Young children? How young?

Lots, I mean LOTS of walking up and down stairs of bridges.

If it was me, I would carry the young ones on my back or on my chest.
"BabyBjorn" "Baby Carrier" ???

I could be wrong, but I thing a baby carriage would be a real PITA.

:)

Posted by
2332 posts

I can recommend this apartment. It is on the island called Giudecca, a short vaporetto ride from the train station, with not one bridge to cross with luggage. We stayed there with our two teens. There are several similar apartments next to each other, managed by the same company, so you could rent two (or more) of them for your group. Each 3 br apt has a master br and bath on the first floor, a queen bed in a loft area on the second floor, a br on the second floor with 2 twins and a bathroom on the second floor. Our apartment had a fold out bed as well. Full kitchen, washing machine (no dryer) and great ac in all areas. It was about a 15 boat ride to St. Marks, away from the crowds. Great views when walking along the canal. It felt like a peaceful retreat from the hoards in the touristy areas. It was lovely to return to the apartment mid day for a rest, then go back out in the evening, when Venice is truly magical.

https://abnb.me/2xiZWr9zKxb

Posted by
27233 posts

Staying on Giudecca means two vaporetto rides each day, just to reach the core of the city. Single vaporetto tickets cost 9.50 euros each. A 24-hour pass is 25 euros; a 48-hour pass, 35 euros. Tnat's a considerable amount of money multiplied by 11 adults, so unless you already anticipate taking multiple vaporetto rides each day, just to move around, the extra transportation cost may come close to--or even exceed--the savings from sleeping in Giudecca.

Posted by
317 posts

We love Hotel Al Codega. It’s centrally located and reasonably priced.

Posted by
3156 posts

It sounds as if you are only there for two nights and one full day??
Clarify?
If so, then by all means stay in a hotel in Mestre, one with or near a restaurant that accommodates the tastes of 13 people.
The train trip from Mestre into Venice takes 10 minutes.
With all those people, I think a hotel will be a good option for you.