Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Venice?

We will have 3 nights in Venice-arriving in the am on Day 1.
Right now I have narrowed down to 2 hotels- 1 is in Cannaregio near Ca d’Oro, close to vaporetto stop.
The other is close to San Marco and close to that vaporetto stop as well. Both are comparable in price (SM location slightly higher with a much smaller room- rec’d in RS guide).
We will be leaving Venice am of Day 4 via train to Florence.

I can’t decide- looking for pros/cons for each location. Or suggestions for other better locations?

Posted by
7737 posts

Why not share the names of the two hotels here? You might get some good feedback. Otherwise just flip a coin. You'll enjoy either location.

Posted by
360 posts

we stayed at a B&B that we found through Airbnb.com and stayed in the Dorsoduro area (close to the Accademia Bridge). It was really convenient to restaurants and little shops that are outside the main tourist area in the San Marcos section (and not as pricey). If you're looking at attractions near the SM area, then that might be a better bet than Cannaregio (at least for walking). I think we paid about $135 per night and it had a private bath (not connected) and we had breakfast provided.

Posted by
7737 posts

That helps. Between those two, I would prefer the area around Hotel Ca' d'Oro. Higher percentage of locals. Did you know that Google Maps Streetview now covers almost every square inch of Venice? You could take a look at the area around both of those for yourself. But the ratio of tourist per square foot will be higher at Flora.

Also, have dinner some evening at Paradiso Perduto (also in Cannaregio) if you want a rowdy evening with the locals. LOTS of fun.

Posted by
1046 posts

I've tried several places in Venice but nothing beats the Hotel Ala. It's right at the Giglio vaparetto stop. Wonderful people, fantastic breakfast and couldn't be easier to use as your home base. I really don't think you can go wrong. Tell Venice I'll be there soon!

Posted by
6244 posts

Thanks all-
I think you are right Michael- less touristy sounds good- I'll go with Hotel Ca'D'Oro and have made a note to find Paradiso Perduto.
Robert- I checked Hotel Ala and that does look very nice but is a lot more expensive than the 2 places I had in mind.

Posted by
7737 posts

If you're going to Paradiso Perduto on a weekend night, drop by earlier in the day and make a reservation for that evening. They sometimes have live music. I'm not sure how crowded they get during the week, but it couldn't hurt to make a reservation for a weeknight either.

Have fun.

Posted by
6244 posts

Thanks- yes it would be Fri or Sat.
I was just reading about the place and it looks great- all that seafood- yum!