Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Venice?

The last leg of our Italy trip will be in Venice for 3-5 days, depending on how long we stay at Lake Como. (It's just my wife and I) What area should we focus on if we want to be close to the best sites, but not in the middle of the tourists? We're having our best luck with accomodations by booking apts on vrbo, but a hotel is ok as well.

Posted by
7737 posts

We just stayed at Casa Rezzonico, a small B&B in Dorsoduro that's convenient to the sites, but not on a main tourist thoroughfare. And it's more affordable than most places in Venice. Highly recommended.

Posted by
47 posts

Best hotel/b&b ever is the Locanda Orseola. #1 on tripadvisor and it earns it. Expensive, yes, but worth every penny. We stayed there a few years back and will be returning this May. Can't wait!

Posted by
20258 posts

Of the 6 districts, eliminate San Marco (too congested with "tourists", OK, other tourists), then Giudecca (too isolated). That leaves, Cannaregio, Castello, San Polo, Dorsoduro. Anything is those districts should fit the bill. Walking distance from anything in San Marco/Rialto, but not in the main crush.

Posted by
1446 posts

I agree with Paul regarding Locanda Orseolo. We were fortunate enough to secure a reservation for Aug/Sept of this year and it was a fantastic experience. The B&B is located a stone's throw away from St. Mark's Square, on the Orseolo canal so many of the rooms have canal views. It's approximately 5 minutes to St. Mark's Square & 10 minutes to the Rialto Bridge, yet not in the middle of tourists. The B&B is in a quiet area. The location is great as is the B&B. The rooms are comfortable and clean and the staff are extremely attentive and helpful. Breakfast is included and they offer a nice buffet of standard breakfast items in addition to omelets and/or crepes made to order. The B&B also has a water landing which was convenient as we took a private water taxi from the airport directly to Locanda Orseolo. You definitely can't go wrong if you stay there. We thought the rate was more than reasonable considering we had a room with a canal view and considering how nice the B&B & staff were.

Posted by
15607 posts

I like the Dorsoduro area, especially near the Academia. Last time I stayed at La Calcina and liked it very much.

Posted by
299 posts

No doubt - Locanda Orseolo! We had two rooms, both facing the canal. We still talk about that hotel - worth every cent!

Posted by
23 posts

In March, we stayed at Hotel Hesperia. It was delightful and very reasonable. No elevator. Very nice people. On a side canal.

Posted by
527 posts

We loved Hotel Abbazia, a converted monastery which is very convenient to the train station off on a quiet street. Staff were excellent and very helpful with advice on how to get places and where to eat.
http://www.abbaziahotel.com/
PS we did the same as you...coming from Varenna in Lago di Como to Venice. When we go back we will definitely do the crowded and busy cities like Venice first, after which go to Como for some nice peace and quiet. It was murder when those Megalith tour boats unloaded in Venice. I hope they stop that very soon.

Posted by
1018 posts

We always stay at the Hotel Abbazia, mentioned above, in the sestiere Canereggio. It is located a very short walk from the Stazione St. Lucia on a quiet calle (alley). The staff is terrific, especially Matteo and Mirko. We like the rooms, the breakfast, the convenient location, and other amenities I cannot think of at the present time.

Buon viaggio,

Posted by
12172 posts

We called Hotel d'Art (in the morning before our arrival, October) and told them what we needed: lodging for 5, 2 adults, 3 children (gave ages), for three nights. They offered us a two-bedroom apartment owned by the hotel at a very good rate. Overall the lodging and price was good enough that I'll give them a call first when I go back.

Posted by
1054 posts

Gio Gio B&B. It's a short walk to San Marco area. It's right by the Giglio Vaparetto stop for when you don't want to walk. The owners were friendly and helpful with our stay around venice.