Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Tuscany

I am planning a trip to Florence & would like to extend by 2 days or so & see the pretty hillside of Tuscany. I am looking for a place that has pretty views where we can enjoy a bottle of wine, we can drive to neighboring towns, taste some wines, see little shops, churches, etc. Where would you recommend that we stay? Would also like some restaurant recommendations.

Posted by
842 posts

Laurie, there are lots of Agritourisimos between Firenze and Siena that meet your requirements. Last summer we stayed at one about a quarter mile off the expressway, about halfway between Flo and Siena just outside Castellina in Chianti, for around $80 EU/nite. We had a wonderful self contained apt with a great country view, pool, fanatastic owners, and great little towns a couple miles away for wine tasting, dining, etc (Panzano et al.) Google Agritourisimo Borgo Sichelle, and check them out in Trip Advisor. There was a romantic restarant 1 mile down the road that was awesome ....and cheap. Check out Dario's butcher shop and his "all meat" dinners for something completly different (Panzano). Go to the "Professor's" wine shop in Panzano for some great tasting. he would not let us pay for the bottle of wine that we selected to take with us!

Posted by
72 posts

Hi Laurie... We're traveling to Tuscany in April, and will be staying in an agriturismo called Fattoria Poggerino in Radda in Chianti. It's a family-run winery and B&B, with some apartments, too. They offer cooking classes and other fun stuff. Haven't been there yet, but it looks fabulous, is very affordable, and has received great reviews on TripAdvisor. The owners have been super nice and very responsive in all our communications. :-) Ciao, and enjoy!
Jean

Posted by
15 posts

Planning on staying in May @ Albergo Casalta - Monteriggioni - location strove -

Posted by
6 posts

I recommend the Casentino Valley. It will not come up in tour books or be frequented by bus tours. It is totally beautiful scenery and local color. You can stay there sans tourists and stress and travel to Sienna, Arezzo, Cortona for day trips. There is a lovely Villa, very inexpensive, more like a bed and breakfast, called Dei Mori LaMassa. You can view it at www.lamassa.tuscany.it. You will love this place.

Posted by
524 posts

Laurie, There are many places in Tuscany that fit the bill. Check out VRBO or other self-catering rental websites. In 2003 we stayed for 5 nights in Montepulciano in an apartment that had an incredible view over the countryside. When I walked up to the top level of the apartment ("walk" is the operative word here) and stepped out onto the rooftop terrace just as dusk was arriving, I told my wife to "shoot me now - I've nothing left to live for". Truly beautiful. Fortunately, my wife knew I was kidding about the shoot me now part... Enjoy! Mike

Posted by
21 posts

I agree with Norma's recommendation on the Casentino VAlley. It is a hidden secret, and I definitely recommend making home base at Dei Mori La Massa. It is close to Arezzo, Cortona, Anghiari,Poppi, and so many beautiful, quaint, hilltop towns.
Don't think you would be disappointed.