Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Tuscany?

Any suggestions for an affordable (100 euros or less) place to stay around the Siena area in Tuscany? We will have a rental car so preferable somewhere that has parking nearby.

Posted by
10229 posts

We won't be there until next month, so I can't give you first hand information just yet, but we are going to stay at Agriturismo Marciano. It is just outside of Siena and is highly recommended. Check out their reviews on Trip Advisor. I also hear that the dinners they have available (you pay extra) only for the people staying there are not to be missed. Parking is available there.

Posted by
34 posts

We stayed at Agriturismo Savernano - closer to Florence but I think it was about 45 min to an hour from Siena. It was the most wonderful place we stayed at - the food amazing - the views wonderful - think we paid 60-65 euro per night and that was in April of last year. We had a rental car and had no trouble getting around.

Posted by
842 posts

We stayed at two agritourisimos this past June when we explored Tuscany and Umbria. Both were less than $75 EU/nite. Both were wonderful self contained rural, quiet, apts, and both had pools. Both were in central locations that allowed you to explore the local areas, and to find great and lo cost dining options.

The first one was just outside Orvieto; Agri Frallarenza. The second was between Flo and Siennna in Chianti, 1/4 mile from the freeway in a very quite area; Argi Borgo Sichelli.

Check out their reviews in Trip Advisor. The owners spoke excellent English, and were great tour advisors.

Posted by
50 posts

Most of the replys are for agriturismos. These are great if you like to socialize with others. However, if you want to walk the town squares in the evening, then a town might be best. RS says that Il Campo in Siena is best square in Italy.

Posted by
84 posts

We have stayed a few times at the Hotel Sovestro just outside San Gimignano. It is quiet, clean and serves a good buffet breakfast. Additionally and conveniently, the da Pode Ristorante is just adjacent to the hotel and we have enjoyed many delicious meals there. Plenty of free parking!

Posted by
313 posts

It's true -- I love staying in and around Il Campo, taking the evening stroll with everyone and sampling the many eateries and gelato shops. But Siena isn't the easiest place to have a car. Keep that in mind while you're looking.

Posted by
10229 posts

Having the car was why I suggested the Agriturismo just outside of Siena. You can enjoy Siena and not have to worry about driving into town.

Posted by
262 posts

We are going in 3 weeks and staying in Castellina in Chianti, it is a great centrally located town

Posted by
1446 posts

I can personally endorse Agriturismo Marciano. Stayed there last September & everything Andrea said is true. I've posted about it 2 other times today on other postings. It was only 10 minutes away (by car) from old town Siena yet it felt like it was in the country & it was very convenient with the rental car. If you stay inside walled Siena, parking will definitely be an issue. The agriturismo experience is unique & we really enjoyed it. Staying at the agriturismo was the highlight of our trip & my husband & I were talking the other day about the dinners we had there; we wish we could go back for the dinners alone. Those meals were the best we had in Italy! The agriturismo was spotlessly clean & very comfortable. The owners made us feel right at home & offered us a glass of wine upon arrival & sent us home with a bottle of their wine. It's a working organic winery & olive grove. Read the reviews on Trip Advisor. Have a wonderful trip.

Posted by
20 posts

La Romita in Montisi, beautiful little village. At the B&B the owners are chef's and had about the best dinner I have ever had. We stayed there in June and I think we paid $85, however we also did a hot air balloon ride that was launched down the road and not sure if we got the great rate because the ballooning in tuscany people recommended it, or if this is there normal fare, in any case it was truly beautiful and charming, I loved it.

have fun, Jeanne