Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in the Dolomites

I am planning to tour the Dolomites this summer and would like some advice on best places to stay overnight. Also, I am not able to do difficult hiking and would like to know the best places to visit where my wife and I can take some moderate, short but beautiful hikes.

Posted by
123 posts

I would second Val Gardena. I have been there twice on cross-country ski trips. Using Santa Cristina as a base gives you access up and down the valley via bus.

From Ortisei you can ride a gondola up to the Alpe di Suisi, I believe highest alpine meadow in the Alps. The hills are mostly gentile and the views, well it's the Dolomiti. At the upper end of the valley is Selva/Wolkenstein where you can access Vallunga, a very popular hiking area even in the winter. It gives nothing to being in Yosemite I think.

This area is Sud-Tirol and unlike anywhere else (I've been) in Italy. The language even is something of itself.

Posted by
3387 posts

Better yet, stay in a hotel or inn ON the Seiser Alm. There are many to choose from and you can take short walks, stay around your hotels and enjoy the view, or ride gondolas up and down the surrounding mountains.
Another great place I have stayed is up and out of the town of Ortisei slightly in the mountains called the Uhrerhof Deur. It's a family run inn that is one of the best places I've stayed in the Alps. If you get half board you can enjoy both dinner and breakfast there...both are fabulous. They have an on-site spa, a stunning rose garden that is difficult to describe, and beautiful views over the valley. Highly recommend.

Posted by
11052 posts

Stay in Ortisei at Hotel Grones. Once you take either s gondola or funicular up from the valley floor you will be in mountain meadows with spectacular scenery and easy walks! Stay more than one night!!

Posted by
71 posts

Another vote for Ortisei and the Hotel Grones!

Ortisei is a great base since it is easy to get up to both Seiser Alm/Alpe di Siusi and Seceda for beautiful hikes. This is a great area for easy but stunning hiking, with lots of hütte along the way if you want to stop for coffee or lunch.

As for Hotel Grones, I cannot praise it enough. It's a beautiful hotel with a great location and views but, most importantly, the staff are spectacular. It's family run and they care so much about every guest. I was visiting at the start of autumn after having been travelling around Europe for the previous two months. I needed to mail some clothing home to lighten my load for the rest of my trip but the post office was sold out of boxes (joys of the Italian postal system). When the Grones heard about my predicament, they not only gave me a box but also brown paper, twine, scissors, etc - everything I needed for my parcel when all I had asked is if they knew where I could buy a box. They always go the extra mile.