Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Sorrento

We are planning a summer trip to the Amalfi Coast and looking for recommend places to stay for a family of 4. I prefer an apartment but open to other ideas. Maybe Positano as an alternative. Thanks!

Posted by
15607 posts

Sorrento is less expensive generally; tho it's not on the AC, it has good bus and ferry service to Positano/Amalfi. Positano is said to be the most expensive on the AC. Another less expensive alternative is to stay in Salerno, also with buses and ferries. If you want to see Pompeii and/or Herculaneum and/or Naples, Sorrento is best positioned; Salerno somewhat less so, Positano not at all.

Posted by
1046 posts

I vote for Sorrento - it is very easy to get to just about everything the Amalfi Coast has to offer. One of the things I like best is wandering the city in the evening. especially starting around sunset. The Greeks were right - Apollo does cross the sky in his fiery chariot and when he descends beyond the horizon the waters boil. Breathtaking!

Check out hotel il Nido in Sorrento. it's above the city. Very family friendly, affordable, great restaurant and the bus to the Amalfi Coast stops right in front!

Maybe I'll see you there the last week of June.