Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Rome - September 2024

Hi fellow travelers - I’m traveling to Rome in September w friends. We are only there for only 2 nights before we travel to our final destination in Italy. I was thinking that staying by the train station might be the easiest. Any recommendations for an area by the station to explore? We’re planning to hit the major sites. We are also considering an Airbnb or VRBO. Grateful for any suggestions? Thanks.

Posted by
1020 posts

Hotel Aberdeen and Hotel Sonya are often recommended on this forum.

Posted by
23585 posts

Both Aberdeen and Sonya are in the Termini area. That is the area we always stay in because of convenience to transportation - buses, trams, and train. We prefer the Sonya. Only a couple of blocks from Termini across from the Opera house.

Posted by
7959 posts

Unless you have a very early morning train or flight, anyplace in central Rome works. Everyone has their favorite area, Campo di Fiori area, Piazza Navona,, Pantheon, or mine, Trastevere, are all popular.

I like staying someplace where I can walk from my hotel, see some things and get a nice meal, without any buses, trams or metro. I would likely opt to stay in one of four areas I mentioned above, as opposed to be close to Termini.

Posted by
2395 posts

hey hey maryjo
how many friends are traveling, budget in euros and dates. september is a busy and crowded month. with so many travelers going to europe there doesn't seem to be an off season anymore. where is your final destination in italy?
the places mentioned are good. we liked piazza navona and campo de fiore. lots of walking so wear comfy shoes. don't hail a taxi on the street "a no no" (we learned fast & quick) stop at the many stands around.
i'd look at booking.com for a hotel, not airbnb or vrbo. your 2 nights doesn't warrant that. check in is 3-4pm and check out is 10-11am. most hotels have luggage storage till check in if early.
what are your plans & activities you plan to do or see, get tickets early (date & time stamped) from official website. skip the line is just that but you still have to go thru security where lines can be long.
go to mercatocentrale.com/rome (restaurants, shops with local artisans, scroll over pictures of artisans to see what they have or do) romeing.it/mercato centrale roma termini read up about the history
food tour: (eatingeurope.com/rome, eatwith.com/rome food tours, secretfoodtours.com/rome, streaty.com/rome, foodtoursofrome.com/rome, katieperla.com/rome walking tours, vineyarts.com (sip wine and paint a picture, do your own gelato tasting all over rome to see what is your favorite flavor)
so much to do and see, so little time. just some things to research with your friends to enjoy and have fun. check back here with more questions and get good bad and ugly about whatever you want to know.
aloha
GO NINERS

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks, guys! I’m going to research the suggestions above. If anyone knows any cool, off the beaten path, attractions & restaurants, can you share? Grazie

Posted by
27812 posts

Although a few sights in Rome are notorious for their overcrowding, long security lines and/or need to acquire tickets in advance (the Vatican Museums, St. Peter's, the Colosseum, the Borghese Gallery and perhaps the Pantheon come to mind), there are dozens of museums and historic sites that are lightly visited and might be considered "off the beaten path"--though you'll probably traverse crowded sidewalks to get to them. Rome is a large city, and a lot of those folks seem to be outdoors a lot! There's rarely more than a handful of people in the many fabulous churches not listed above.

If you tell us your particular sightseeing interests, we may have some specific suggestions for you.

Posted by
20 posts

Hi, We are a group of 4 very active women. We are interested in seeing ruins, back streets, authentic restaurants, small museums, gardens & beautiful churches. We can always book a tour for the usual sites. Thx for any suggestions.

Posted by
240 posts

I found the Museo Storica della Liberazioni very interesting. https://www.museoliberazione.it/en/museum/historical-framework/

It’s a large apartment that served as a Nazi prison during the war. This is a part of Rome’s history that isn’t as well covered in most tours. It’s near St John Lateran on a residential street. According to Trip Advisor reviews, the open times can be hit or miss. I found it an interesting switch from ruins and art and made me want to know more about the time period.

Posted by
27812 posts

Here are some of my favorite churches; I'm especially a fan of mosaics.

Two near Santa Maria Maggiore and not too far from Termini Station:
Santa Prassede
Santa Pudentiana

Two in Trastevere:
Santa Maria in Trastevere
Santa Cecilia in Trastevere (modest charge for the eye-popping crypt)

Always have a few 1-euro coins to feed the light meter in free-to-enter churches so you can get a better look at the mosaics and/or frescoes under illumination.

There are many, many more churches of interest. I kept a list as I read guidebooks and this forum and I ended up with 56 churches to look out for. I didn't have time for even half of them, but I'll work to see more of them next time I'm in Rome. These are others on my list located around Termini Station; best odds of getting inside one of the smaller churches are to show up before lunch, I think. They often close for part of the afternoon, and some don't reopen.

Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri
San Paolo Dentro le Mura
Basilica Sant'Andrea al Quirinale (by Bernini)
Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria
Chiesa di Santa Susanna alle Terme di Diocleziano (not sure when it's open)
Chiesa di San Carlino alle Quattro Fontane

Convento dei Frati Cappuccini (with bone chapels)