Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Rome?

Going to Rome with my adult daughter in November. Arriving on the 5th and flying out on the 8th. We are going to do the 2 day Rick Steves plan. Any suggestions on where to stay that will be the most convenient for the sights?

Posted by
32212 posts

Jonelle, there's always some "difference of opinion" here on the HelpLine regarding the "best" part of Rome to stay in. Given the fact that it's a very short and focused trip, I'd suggest staying somewhere close to Termini station, as that will provide you with not only convenient access to the airport via the Leonardo Express, but also convenient access to the Metro and Buses while in Rome. ¶ There are lots of Hotels listed in both the "Italy" and "Rome" Guidebooks. One that you might consider is * www.hotelaberdeen.it/inglese/hotel.htm * (cut & paste the link inside the asterisks). I stayed there a few months ago, and it's very convenient to Roma Termini (I took a Taxi to the Hotel when I arrived, but walked to Termini on departure once I became familiar with the area). ¶ If you haven't been to Rome before, you'll probably find it quite interesting, but be prepared for the "atmosphere" at Termini. ¶ Were you planning to hire a local Guide to tour some of the major sites? Francesca Caruso is an EXCELLENT Guide (she's listed in the Guidebooks, but if you need contact info, post another note). Happy travels!

Posted by
23282 posts

I would support Ken's suggestions and add Hotel Sonya to the list. It is little closer to Termini and my wife thinks their breakfast, by a small margin, is better than Aberdeen which we have also used. Both are nearly equal on all counts.

Posted by
4535 posts

Another vote for the area near Termini. I like it for the convenience of getting to-from the airport or station and access to the Metro for the Vatican and Coloseum. Other sights mean long walks or busses, but nowhere in Rome is the perfect location as it's so big and the sights so spread out.

Posted by
78 posts

Depends on whether you are a walker or not. We spent 4 nights in an apartment 2 minutes from the Trevi Fountain and walked easily to all main sites.Every time I saw it, it took my breath away. IMHO Walking means you see amazing things constantly.We did stay in Termini area though on our last night after time in Sorrento to make trip to airport easier. Our travelling friends however would prefer to take public transport next time as they found so much walking hard going. Have a great trip, I know I have unfinished business in Rome...

Posted by
787 posts

We prefer to stay in the area around Piazza Navona, within walking distance of almost everything, and more importantly, you're right there for evenings sitting at a cafe on Piazza Navona or by the Pantheon (400 meters away). Most evenings we walk up to the Trevi Fountain (about 900 meters away), as well. We've only taken the Metro a couple of times. We like the area because it's lively and full of people, safe, and it's in a pedestrian zone, so there's little traffic noise.

Posted by
1018 posts

I like to stay about 4 or 5 blocks from Termini because I do not like humping my luggage on the Metro. The area immediately around the station is not the best. Two choices we like are the Hotel Massimo D'Azeglio on Via Cavour and the new b&b Armonio All' Opera on Via Viminale. Also, check out venere.com and tripadvisor.com. Both sights will give you pricing, map locations, and client reviews. Buon viaggio, RB

Posted by
262 posts

Just got back Sunday and we stayed at the Empire Palace Hotel near the American Embassy and Via Veneto. We were able to walk to everything except the Vatican which we took the train to.

Posted by
10 posts

I agree with Christine. We, too stayed in an apartment for 4 nights but we were nearer Piazza Navona. Still an easy walk to Pantheon, Trevi. Longer but walkable to Colosseum, Vatican. For us way better/economical to have an apartment than a hotel. We used www.guestinitaly.com and everything was as advertised.

Posted by
62 posts

Another vote for staying closer to the action. I like walking out of my apartment or hotel and being right in the thick of things. We stayed right off of Campo dei Fiori, and were perfectly located to walk everywhere; didn't use buses or metro once. Rome is surprisingly compact. If you enjoy walking (which gives you such a feel for the city), I think it's the way to go. Just plan on a taxi or car service to get you to the airport.