Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Rome

In September my husband and I will be visiting Rome for the first time and are trying to decide where to stay. It looks like it may be more practical to stay near the train station but would love opinions on this! We will be arriving from Florence via train and will head south by train after our visit. We will be there for 2 1/2 days and would like to stay somewhere that is either centrally located or has easy access to all the big sights. Thanks!

Posted by
10344 posts

Train station lodging is usually not the best, for obvious reasons.
Stay some place romantic. It's your first visit.
Go to viamichelin.com and pick a hotel that is rated romantic.
It's your big vacation, treat yourself.

Posted by
1174 posts

Check out Hotel Smeraldo, a couple blocks from Campo de Fiori and walkable to everything including the Vatican, about 20 minutes. We easily walked to the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Colosseum, Piazza Novena, Hotel Minerva roof top bar t dusk to sip drinks and watch over the Pantheon, and across the river south to Trasterverde. At the end of the block from Smeraldo is a great place to eat. Not so much the place on the left, at least when we were there last year. No need to stay near the train station. We took a cab to and from and it was very handy and only about 20 Euros, worth every penny. We left to visit first Venice, then to Florence, and back to Rome. If you need some tips on Florence or Venice, send me a message.

Posted by
1174 posts

The place at the end of the block, I blocked that out somehow, is Salumeria Roscioli, one of the best eateries in Rome, reservations required, and the food was marvelous. They do lunch as well plus take-away. On the street to Campo is a great gelato place which we seldom passed by without getting at least a double cone. Check it all out.

Posted by
7 posts

We are going to Rome in a few weeks and booked an apartment on VRBO.com. We are staying near the coliseum and forum and got a great deal. It looks like there are many apartments all around Rome for good prices.

Posted by
27 posts

Thank you all so much for the advice! I will look into all those options! We will definitely try that restaurant, can't wait for all the delicious food!

Posted by
15800 posts

I'll be the dissenting vote here. We've staying near (not right ON) Termini before and been very happy with the location. We enjoyed being reasonable walking distance to/from the station and many of the sights, and had a little market just across the street for picking up snacks, beverages and whatnot. It didn't feel like a "bad" area at all to us.